Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poland Jobs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerryd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Poland Jobs Reply with quote

I am thinking of going to next jan/feb
what are the best cities for jobs?
please any info would be great
I have a BA and tefl cert from ICAL
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that ICAL is online, right?
If that's the case, it's below what most job seekers on the European market have. Not that you absolutely cannot find a job with this, but you will be at a definite disadvantage against the other newbie teachers with CELTA and equivalent on-site certifications. This will be true across most of continental Europe, not just Poland.
sharter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Avoid the big cities like Poznan, Wroclaw, Gdansk, Krakow and Warsaw. Try a place like Bydgoszcz as it's near Gdansk and Poznan ie 2 hours by train, there are a few schools there and it's not so popular with job seekers. Some truly great bars there like Mosg (the Brain) and a pleasant place to live all in all. Bell and IH have gigs there although the money is appaplling. There was also a place called Greenwich Language Services. That certificate ain't worth much mate.
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please cease this misinformation and scaremongering. The money in Bydgoszcz is not appalling, it's fine. It's not a lot of money, but the 2 high profile Bydgoszcz schools provide accomodation for teachers and pay their bills.

As someone who has worked there very recently, I can tell anybody thinking about it that Bydgoszcz is a good option.

I went out 2-3 times a week (I do big nights out) ate out as regularly as I do at home, shopped as often as I do at home, and I was left with roughly 4-500 zl every month. Hardly the stuff of millionaires, but definitely not appalling. I had a very active social life and never ran out of money. That is not appalling, so please don't pretend it is.

Why people pretend the money on offer is so bad is beyond me. I lived there, I did it, and it was great.
sparks

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you describe seems to be the life of a single guy or gal. I don't think many people on here would disagree that most anywhere in Poland can be fun for such a person depending on your tastes. I think that much of the gripe comes from people who in some way become tied to the country (usually in the form of a significant other) and then feel trapped into a life of teaching ESL in the same place for many years with little chance for advancement (maybe because of a lack of creativity or the nature of the work).
Master Shake

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowwhatiamtalkingabout wrote:
Please cease this misinformation and scaremongering. The money in Bydgoszcz is not appalling, it's fine. It's not a lot of money, but the 2 high profile Bydgoszcz schools provide accomodation for teachers and pay their bills.

As someone who has worked there very recently, I can tell anybody thinking about it that Bydgoszcz is a good option.

I went out 2-3 times a week (I do big nights out) ate out as regularly as I do at home, shopped as often as I do at home, and I was left with roughly 4-500 zl every month. Hardly the stuff of millionaires, but definitely not appalling. I had a very active social life and never ran out of money. That is not appalling, so please don't pretend it is.

Why people pretend the money on offer is so bad is beyond me. I lived there, I did it, and it was great.

I had basically the same experience in Gdansk a few years ago. But I didn't have 4-5 hundred z's left over every month. It was more like 1-2 hundo, if anything. I made 3000-3600z/mo teaching Mon-Sat and paid 750 to share a 2 bedroom apartment.

Poland is easily do-able, and can be a great time, if you're single and aren't in debt.
dynow

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mastershake wrote:

Quote:
Poland is easily do-able, and can be a great time, if you're single and aren't in debt.

some people get away with that comment on here, some don't. me, i'll surely be flamed for the following:

when i first came to poland, over the first 6 months i thought i was the man. only,

-i didn't own a car

-didn't have a wife

-didn't have kids

-didn't own a home.

-ZUS was 300 per month

then, when reality set in

-i realized that walking everywhere in the cold and relying on public transport to get you anywhere you can't walk to completely blows.....and i couldn't afford a car to remedy this.

-teaching english 6 days a week and drinking crappy polish beer began to lose it's charm

-unless i found a pot of gold somewhere, home ownership was out of the question (oh wait, i guess i could buy a shoebox apartment with neighbors all around me and make my kids all sleep in the same room together.....)

-ZUS jumped up to 900, evaporating my pay increases I earned at my schools.

It's fun when you're a young male bachelor but it's very important that you know when enough is enough and it's time to get out.
sharter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: spill the beans Reply with quote

Spill the beans...what did IH/Bell Bydgoszcz pay you a month?....I know what they advertise.

It's about 500 quid a month in EUROPE!!
gerryd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Thanks for all the replys Reply with quote

I am thinking of going to poland sometime in the future but I am thinking somewhere in asia would be better to gain experience and save some money but will not rule out poland/spain in the future. The only thing with asia is that visa headache. anyway thanks for all the info. still trying to decide but where to start on my first job in tefl.
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's fairly clear that this Poland is a place for people of a certain age/status. If you've got a family or debt to pay off, then look elsewhere. If you're single and looking to teach good students and have a good lifestyle, the Poland is pretty good.

I knew a lot of teachers in a lot of cities when I was in Poland, and the general attitude was MUCH more positive than on this forum. The people I knew were enjoying their lives in Poland and having a good time. It's easy to do.
sharter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Well agree on that then.... Reply with quote

Poland is a good place to cut your teeth. The students are great and aren't mugs, so you'll have to be well prepared.

If your girlfriend works and you live together, you'll manage.

Salaries have been decreasing in real terms for years. It will get harder.

As you get older you want different things......it's simple. In my 20's, living on 20 quid a day was ok....I'd drink in pissholes and eat kebabs regularly. I'd take a bus on a long journey and stay in a hostel.........at 40, I just don't wanna live that way.

Kids will financially put the cuffs on you.

Poland's a good short-term gig I'd say.
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ate and drank just as well in Poland as I did before I moved to Poland. I don't understand this idea that you have to drink in ropey bars and eat kebabs. It's simply not true.

I can't get my head around it. The salary is fine to have a normal life.
lundjstuart

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowwhatiamtalkingabout wrote:
I ate and drank just as well in Poland as I did before I moved to Poland. I don't understand this idea that you have to drink in ropey bars and eat kebabs. It's simply not true.

I can't get my head around it. The salary is fine to have a normal life.

Can I get some of the stuff that you're smoking? Seems to me that it's some pretty awesome stuff Laughing
sharter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

It's all relative and depends on what you are used to. If you live in a brown paper bag, a cardboard box in middle of road is a step up.

Outside of dear old Polska I never eat hotdogs, zapiekanka (cheese on toast) or kebabs; there I eat them a lot.

You still haven't spilled the beans on what you earn........probably because it ain't much. Certainly not enough to give you a bright future. For those who have an Opel and can go to Berlin I applaud you....you couldn't do that as a single teacher paying for a girlfriend or if you're paying child support. The few teachers I know who bought 5-6 years ago bought cheap flats, often helped by mum, dad or other family members. Some even had or have Polish women who 'look after' them.

I can only speak for the people I know who teach in Poznan and I can only base my opinions on what I've seen progressing over the past 16 years. I admit, I haven't been to Poland for 12 weeks, so my info might be out of date. However, when I lived in Bydgoszcz all the teachers were skint and Warsaw...well...I won't even go into that dump although I did have a flat next to Zamek for a while.

Don't get me wrong... I love Poz and my mates there but it's a hard life in many ways if you don't have the family network to support you. We also don't have that Polish sense of kombinowanie.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to chip in on earnings in Poland, specifically Warsaw. I know the rest of the county is cheaper.

So, I went to Warsaw with the British Council a few years ago now, earned something like 11k gross per month, rent was 1500zt, and found it all okay, could go out and have fun and save too, even though I lost a fair whack of that through tax and zus.

Sometime later I went back sans the cushy British Council gig, I struggled to make 5-6k a month freelance, I could still get by, but had to be frugal.

When people talk about earning anything less than 5k in Warsaw, I think they must be living a semi-student lifestyle (and why not? Can be fun if you are single).

But what I am really aware of is how the cost of living has shot up in Poland, and how the EFL rates have stayed the same or dropped. For me, the party is over. If I am going to earn such little money, then I might as well go to Spain, where you earn pittance too but....well....it's Spain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: