Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MARKS ENGLISH - WARNING

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrCommitted1977

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:07 am    Post subject: MARKS ENGLISH - WARNING Reply with quote

<!-- .hmmessage P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body.hmmessage { font-size: 10pt; font-family:Tahoma } -->
<!-- .hmmessage P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body.hmmessage { font-size: 10pt; font-family:Tahoma } -->

Be sure you know what you're letting yourself in for....

The owner Mark Fu at any one time has about 6/7 foreigners (his term, I prefer Native Speaker Teacher) working for him. All are kindy teachers, but for legal reasons all are officially registered as buxiban teachers. This is the crux of the problem when working a kindy job, you are outside the law and could be reported and deported at any time.

My experience at Marks English was negative when viewed as a whole. The cute kids, special moments side of it etc doesn’t come from your employer, and that was the only cool part of the job. Late payment, under-declaration of my earnings, shabby accommodation, hostile management, and unpaid obligatory work DOES!!!

I was a hard worker, always punctual and pro-active. Some issues I had were constant schedule changes, reductions in hours, and a total lack of respect throughout the management team. It is not right to stiff your employees out of money. Mark Fu will not pay any tax to the authorities for months at a time, while simultaneously deducting over 10% of your salary, supposedly for tax. You will go to the tax office, legitimately expecting your tax refund. You will then be told that no refund is due, as no tax has been paid.

My strong advice is NOT to trust Marks English in Dajia, Chinshui or Fengyuan. You will lose money when you want a tax refund – in my case the figure came to 30,000 NT dollars. Don’t say you haven’t been warned…….
[/b]
creztor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You worked illegally for a kindy and then expect a tax refund etc? If this is the case, then I am not sure what to say...
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

creztor wrote:
You worked illegally for a kindy and then expect a tax refund etc? If this is the case, then I am not sure what to say...
I think he knows he won't get his money back. He's just warning us.

And OP, I'll add another name to this list: Cindy Huang of Amigo School and A.L.S. fame in the Kaohsiung Area. Did exactly the same thing your boss did (claimed to be paying taxes when she was just pocketing them), not to mention all sorts of other immoral, dishonest, and outright malicious things.
Dr_Zoidberg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: MARKS ENGLISH - WARNING Reply with quote

MrCommitted1977 wrote:
My strong advice is NOT to trust Marks English in Dajia, Chinshui or Fengyuan.
[/b]

My strong advice is to not trust anyone who offers to have you work illegally. Honestly, if they're breaking the law, how trustworthy can they be?
creztor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooster, I almost ended up working for that school. I went for an interview sometime before you did, but I turned it down (can't remember why). Looks like it was a good thing in the end going by your own experience.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: MARKS ENGLISH - WARNING Reply with quote

MrCommitted1977 wrote:

I was a hard worker, always punctual and pro-active. Some issues I had were constant schedule changes, reductions in hours, and a total lack of respect throughout the management team.
[/b]

Welcome to teaching in Taiwan.
Ali_The_Greatest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Thieves Reply with quote

Totally agree with your post Mr Committed, they are a bunch of liars and thieves in that school, avoid!!
braindead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm... from my understanding, if you take a (second) job that's not listed on your ARC, tutor, or teach kindy, it's pretty much illegal. that's just the law. but --- it sounds like the government is turning a blind eye because i've heard of several esl teachers taking on more than one job and tutoring on the weekends. i didn't want to teach in taiwan but these teachers keep flaunting about how they make $2k-$5k per month from all these side gigs.
Ali_The_Greatest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Scam alert Reply with quote

By the way guys,

Is there any way to get this school on to some kind of tefl blacklist? They are being reported, but the problem is they just recruit new unsuspecting teachers and rip them off afresh!!

Any suggestions would be most welcome!!
thechangling

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.chinaforeignteachersunion.org/2012/12/china-foreign-teachers-union-posts-esl.html
JZer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never dealt the Mark's English, but as often as they post for teacher's on Dave's does make me wonder about the school.
Ali_The_Greatest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are always hiring because people get suckered into taking the job, then they are unable to leave for about six months (usually to being stretched financially after buying a plane ticket to Taiwan).

Only after the abuses become unbearable do people finally say enough is enough!!

I hate to think of a newbie going over there full of good intentions, only for it to dawn on them that these people are liars and cheats, and see you as a slave more or less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: