Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

15 Years Teaching in China.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KidfromBrooklyn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: 15 Years Teaching in China. Reply with quote

I have 15 years of teaching ESL in China and currently work for the best school in my city. Do I stand a chance finding a job in France?

In 1982 I lived in Salon De Provence and loved the life in the South. The weather good, the food and wine all mixed to create a great experience for me. I can remember the school kids running around my block and saying in English "My father is rich!"

Anyway retirement is close now and I would like to while away my time in the South of France. I can speak basic French, German, and of course I am fluent in English and Chinese.

What do you who have in country experience think?

Thanx in advance.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are from Brooklyn (i.e. non-EU), then I'd say it's extremely unlikely that you'll get legal work. Different legislation in place since 1982, sorry.

Full retirement on the other hand may be possible if you have the funds. Don't really know about that.
PeterBar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get permanent resident status you will need to show that you have enough money to live on without becoming a burden on the state.

Alternatively you will need a Schengen visa - 90 days in the zone followed by 90 days outside.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll expand on what others have pointed out.

First: if you are a US citizen only (no passport/citizenship in an EU member country), the laws now are significantly different than in the past. For English teaching, as well as most other jobs, the laws have become very strict in terms of hiring EU member citizens ONLY. There being quite a lot of UK teachers ready and willing to go to the South of France, there is very near nil chance that any employer would be willing to even try to go through the considerable legal hassles of employing a Yank.

Second: Schengen zone. Google it for a list of member countries. Again, if you are a US citizen only, you can stay in the zone for 90 days (France included) then you have to leave the zone for 90 days - meaning entirely out of Western Europe - before you can re-enter. In the past, a simple border run restarted the 90 day window in many countries, but this loophole has been effectively closed.

Third: Experience in China won't be counted too highly by most employers in Europe. It's simply pretty well-known that the expectations, approaches, and methods used there are very different from most in this region. It's apples and oranges, and 15 years there won't add up to much on your CV here.

Overall, assuming that you are American, it's probably not feasible to try to come as an English teacher with a work visa. However, if you can afford to come as a retiree, and can show proof of funds, there are likely ways to do that - and to possibly pick up a bit of private teaching on the side. I suggest you check the French embassy website for info on this. We'd all be interested to know what you find out!!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retiring in the south of France sounds like just the ticket though. Hope something works out for you.
d moon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Nice Idea Reply with quote

Actually, the naysayers about China experience are a bit off the mark because I have the same, albeit to go along with experience in the States and of course France and I've had no problems finding work.

Without EU papers however I think you're pretty much SOL.

As a consolation you aren't missing out on much however and if you think you will have anywhere near the earnings potential/lifestyle options you have in China you are sorely mistaken.

After my first year in the Middle Kingdom I rarely worked for less than 200 an hour and that is pretty close to the top rate you can command here after figuring in taxes and charges unless you set up your own company and have the ability to wade through reams of paperwork and of course find clients that will pay.

With your skills you could probably find work as a translator which can pay pretty well but mostly it depends on who you know.
d moon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Oh and I forgot to mention Reply with quote

Translation is a grind. But like I said if you have an 'in' with the appropriate ministry you can expect about �0,20 per mot, which aint bad as they are outsourcing alot these days � cause de l'austerit�. Especially with Chinese which I can speak but cannot read. That's about 10,000 words per month to have even a life which in Paris, which is where the work is, means basically living in a 20m and maybe not even your own bathroom.

Reality stinks, huh?

The South is just a provincial backwater, Bretagne is alot more interesting.

BTW, I'm a native New Yorker myself and 'nuff respect for 15 years in China.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: