Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in the US with a DELTA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching in the US with a DELTA Reply with quote

spanglish wrote:
Now that the DELTA has been recognized as the equivalent of a masters degree in the UK does anybody think it would be possible to teach for US employers who require a masters? I wonder if a community college would recognize a DELTA as a masters equivalent....

Bypassing the discussion of whether the DELTA is considered "equivalent" or "at the same level" . . .

I have not come across anyone here in the US who considers the DELTA an acceptable substitute for an MA. I'm in the Northeast, and the number of job ads I've seen that require an "MA or DELTA" is exactly zero. (Of course, the total number of job ads I've seen at all this year is not much higher than that.) At my university, as well as at others with which I have contact, positions which require an MA will not accept a DELTA qualification in its place.

In general, a DELTA just does not seem to be requested here nearly as often as it is across the sea. What it will get you here is a place at the top of the heap for positions which do not require an MA, and possibly closer consideration from those employers who might prefer one, but have the ability to be flexible.

The only exception I am aware of to the absolute requirement of an MA or higher at the tertiary level in the US is within an IEP at some colleges/universities. Our own IEI is for all practical purposes a separate entity from the university itself and has a great deal of autonomy in establishing its own preferred hiring criteria. There is at least one instructor with no more than a BA, a CELTA equivalent TEFL cert, and 5 years or so of experience, probably including at least some EAP.

One of the things you have to consider if you want to compete for jobs in the US is that right now most employers who ask for an MA will receive a stack of applications from MA qualified teachers. They do not have to trouble their overburdened little minds with the question of whether to recognize the DELTA as an MA equivalent, or not.
spanglish

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, nobody knows what a CELTA/DELTA are. I visited Georgetown University yesterday and spoke briefly with the ESL lady there. If I get in there again I'll see if she's ever heard of a DELTA...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: