Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Family Living Expenses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pushok

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Family Living Expenses Reply with quote

I'm looking into applying for a post in Warsaw which will pay around 11,500PLN + 300 quid sterling per month. Nothing else is included, except flights and medical insurance.

Is this a good enough salary to support a family (wife and young daughter - not yet school age)? I don't expect my wife will be working as she's not a native English speaker.

I have to pay for accommodation from this and would like to have a decent lifestyle and potentially save some money. Is this possible?

All replies are most welcome.
Lucy Snow

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were going to be teaching in Japan for 500,000 yen/month.

What kind of jobs are offering these fantastic salaries?
scot47

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you had been "invited to apply" for a very lucrative post in Romania ?
Pushok

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for the British Council, where the deal is usually very good. The posts are senior teacher / junior manager - which, as I said is a good package. It's always best to check though.

I'm applying for a large number of posts all over the place at the mo (edging my bets) for September. The list is too long and unconfirmed to list here, but until I get sorted you all might have to endure my 'cut and paste' posts for several countries.

Thanks for replying.
Pushok

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to push this, but any word on if that salary is good enough for a family to live on in Warsaw? The salary is around 11,500PLN pre-tax and there are no other benefits, except flight and medical insurance.

Please inform as I'd really like to know how feasible it is.

Many thanks
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: British Council eh? Reply with quote

Yep, I used to work for them.Answering your original post,I think 11,500 Gross will be adequate but that's about it.You'll lose about 25% in tax then you'll have the problem of finding decent,affordable family accommodation,(i.e. in an ok area etc),in Warsaw.It's an expensive city if you want it to be.Expect English prices for things like;hotels,clothes,electronic goods,mobile phones and curiously enough,whiskey.Food and public transport however are cheap.Another thing you may want to consider is the nationality of your wife,ie- is she caucasian?My friend's Japanese wife hated Poland and it must be said that the Poles can be a bit insular and racist especially in the provinces.Just my thoughts.(By the way bets like options are 'hedged' or was it a typo?.)
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that the Poles are more racist than the Irish. Wow !
Pushok

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. My wife is Russian, which while Caucasian, may not go down too well with all Poles.

I have an interview for the post this week amongst others and will see what the outcomes are.

I'm a little surprised that it's not more than just sufficient though.

Seems I might have to 'hedge' my bets further.

Thanks
mike10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: