Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do short term contracts exist in the Middle East?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
britishsummertime

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Do short term contracts exist in the Middle East? Reply with quote

Could anybody advise me of the likelihood of finding a regular supply of short term contracts anywhere in the Middle East. For various reasons I can't commit to a 12 month stint anywhere at the moment, but fancy having a try at working maybe 2/3 months at a time 3 or so times a year, with a month or so back home before the next stint. It's a tall order, I know, but does anyone think it can be done? Who and where are the employers in the ME who would offer short term contracts on a regular basis? None of the TEFL websites seem to allow you to search for jobs by length of contract, merely location etc.

For the record, I'm late 40's, British, have a BA degree and a CELTA with around 3 years teaching experience. Thanks in advance.
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago Abu Dhabi University was offering 3 & 6 moth contracts. Check them out!

It's a gamble any way you look at it!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is back when they were so desperate for teachers and the situation was so bad that no one wanted to stay very long. But, they got things in hand and are now giving normal contracts last I heard. (note how we haven't had a thread on them for a very long time)

Because of the high expense to the employers for work visas, I don't know of any legitimate employer that gives contracts less than a year. In fact, most are for 2 or 3 years. You may be able to pick up a part-time job in some chain language school, but you wouldn't have a legal work visa and it wouldn't pay enough to have a place to live. The Gulf is very expensive.

There is no such thing as far as I have ever seen outside of some oil company contracts in Libya and West Africa. With these, you work X months with no breaks and then have a month or two off.

VS
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: They do exist Reply with quote

TQLS offer short-term contracts in Kuwait and despite what is written on this board they are absolutely fine to work for. In terms of pay they are mid-ranking for the Middle East.

Language Solutions offer short-term contracts too , but they should only ever be considered if all else fails as their pay is on the low side and you'd only be able to save $2,300 a month.

Scour the net for oil field rotations but good luck as they are rare these days; I've done quite a few of them and am waiting for my return to one in Libya when and if I'm recalled. I'm loathe to do anything else. PM me and I'll tell you those that I know of. However, you'll have to do the creative job search yourself. Rotations pay much better than the cruddy uni jobs in the Middle East and you get loads more holidays in sane countries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: