Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poland Jobs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My total earnings including flat came to around 3,200 a month. No problem. Nobody I knew was skint. Money just wasn't talked about, everyone was fine.

Trips to Berlin, Krakow, Prague, Wroclaw, Zagreb, Warsaw, Gdansk...

It was fine. Not a place I'd stay forever (I've left), but for someone starting out in teaching it really is an excellent place. Your negativity is unfair and will push many people away from a great way to start your career.

Bydgoszcz is a good place, and a good place to work. Your (15 year old~) assessment of life there is off the mark and you should stop acting like a know it all. Pretending to be an expert and offering comment on a place you lived in 15 years ago is just silly.
sparks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twincenter and Shake are leaving Polska...
It must be getting bad over there.
If only Scottie would jump on board negativity could dominate the forum.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:

I'm here. When have I ever contributed anything negative? I love this place (Gdansk) and I'm not going to leave barring something completely unforeseeable happening.

I'm actually doing pretty well here, but my situation is very different than that of the younger guys.
dynow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottie1113 wrote:

Quote:
I'm actually doing pretty well here, but my situation is very different than that of the younger guys.....

.....which i've always kinda interpreted as, "made tons of cash in California and the money I make here in Poland is mere gravy," or something to that effect.

IKWITA wrote:

Quote:
Your (15 year old~) assessment of life there is off the mark and you should stop acting like a know it all. Pretending to be an expert and offering comment on a place you lived in 15 years ago is just silly.

in his defense though, the dude is in and out of polska, sometimes for weeks or months at a time in country (he gets something like 366 days vacation a year with his teaching gig down in the sand box), year after year. his son lives there. sure, sharted lives a bit more high class than most, but hell, the guy's pretty spot on with most of what he says about the country in general.
sparks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottie, you have consistently been a pro-Poland voice for years. Shake and Twincenter have also been generally positive about the place. With them leaving it leaves you and maybe a couple of other newer folks. I'm convinced you can be won over to the darkside... Mwaa ha ha....! Smile
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Thanks.... Reply with quote

Thanks for the support Dynow. I mean what would I know? I haven't lived in Poland for 12 WEEKS!

You cannot educate fools and the song 'Blinded by the Light' by the Streets springs to mind.

I can get by in Polish, have a Polish son, taught in 3 different cities and have spent 3-4 months there every year since 2003. Oh, I forgrot, I taught there for almost 5 years. How would I know anything? I mean I don't listen to the hundreds of expat and Polish friends I have and everything I say I drag outta my @ase.

Some of the posters here must be Polish nationalists. Next they'll be trying to tell us that Polish rap is good!

BTW-that BC job is a good one by the way.
dynow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharter wrote:

Quote:
Next they'll be trying to tell us that Polish rap is good!

stary, slowo do twojej matki, domowy chlopak!

yeah, it simply doesn't belong there.

sparks wrote:

Quote:
I'm convinced you can be won over to the darkside... Mwaa ha ha....!

and now's the time, another shite polish winter is on its way!
scottie1113

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
Scottie, you have consistently been a pro-Poland voice for years. Shake and Twincenter have also been generally positive about the place. With them leaving it leaves you and maybe a couple of other newer folks. I'm convinced you can be won over to the darkside... Mwaa ha ha....! Smile

Ha! Don't hold your breath.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:

Don't count me out just yet. I visited Wroclaw a few weeks ago and really liked it. Cheaper, prettier and friendlier than Warsaw. Moving there would practically be changing countries - the atmosphere's so different.

dynow wrote:
in his defense though, the dude is in and out of polska, sometimes for weeks or months at a time in country (he gets something like 366 days vacation a year with his teaching gig down in the sand box), year after year. his son lives there. sure, sharted lives a bit more high class than most, but hell, the guy's pretty spot on with most of what he says about the country in general.

Too often he's not comparing apples to apples. Delphian-domine rightly called him out on this in the Int House thread and got some (albeit sarcastic) concessions for it.

He's also touting luxuries 95% of the people teaching abroad don't use and making them out to be the bare essentials. Who honestly goes into TEFL in Eurpoe with the aim of staying in luxury hotels, drinking whiskey in hotel bars and eating out in posh restaurants?
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Piffle Reply with quote

500-600 quid a month is still 500-600 quid a month.

Delph just ain't on the money.

I think all this unravels because I talk about life in Poland and having one and others talk about subsisting on a budget in a very mememe kind of way.

I couldn't care less whether it's the UK, Poland, Spain or anywhere else...relative to wages, Poland is expensive. Delph hasn't done anything other than cherry pick numbers. Transport and cigarettes aside, Poland outside Warsaw costs roughly what UKplc outside London and the home counties costs.

I'm sure if I booked my tickets a year before, stayed in a doss house and ate in an empty back street stinking noodle bar....I could live cheaply in Poznan. Let's see; a single room in a hostel would be say 100-130, lunch a 5 Zl sandwich, dinner a crappy meal in Sphinx (low end) 30-50Zl, smokes 11Zl...yep less than 200....40 quid......could do that in Portsmouth for 45 quid...the difference being the fags. Average studio rent's about 400 quid, Poznan 300 in a same quality place. A weekly shop in Iceland, which is the Uk's Biedronka...roughly the same. A B and B in Portsmouth is 25 quid.....and that's a better room that the Lech or the Polonez. Kids' stuff costs way more in Poland. LCD TV's cost way more in Poland. Furniture costs way more in Poland. Clothes cost way more in Poland, unless you are shopping in the Wilda market...actually shell suits aren't my thing. Yep, you can get a 4Zl beer if you look around...you can in Wetherspoon's. Like with like right? Second hand motors are way cheaper in the UK. The hostel next to the station in Zoo (Berlin) is cheaper than the ones I've stayed in in Poznan.

The life of a the AVERAGE TEFL teacher in Poland is one of constantly being frugal. One or two of you may well be doing ok........good luck. If you stay, build a family and home, you'll see.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Piffle Reply with quote

[quote="sharter"]500-600 quid a month is still 500-600 quid a month.

I couldn't care less whether it's the UK, Poland, Spain or anywhere else...relative to wages, Poland is expensive.

I agree.
dynow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharter wrote:

Quote:
I think all this unravels because I talk about life in Poland and having one and others talk about subsisting on a budget in a very mememe kind of way.

and to think that the avg. TEFL'ers are earning more than most of their neighbors. i still can't believe what my in-laws earn, it's abomidable.

sharter wrote:

Quote:
Delph just ain't on the money.

considering the fact that he lived in Poland rent free for his first 2+ years there......it changes your perspective a bit. that's a long time for saving money and never having to wonder if you can afford a trip or gas or dinner out or whatever.

sharter wrote:

Quote:
Yep, you can get a 4Zl beer if you look around

I've never seen a 4zl beer in a bar in Wroclaw in my life, including when I first came in 2007. domestic ran 6-7 and Heineken was 8-9.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dynow"]scottie1113 wrote:

.....which i've always kinda interpreted as, "made tons of cash in California and the money I make here in Poland is mere gravy," or something to that effect.

Not exactly, but you're on the right track.
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expensive compared to wages is a fair thing to say, but that is not the comment which led me to get involved in the first place.

I got involved because the poster said the money in Bydgoszcz was "appalling". It is clearly not. There is nothing "appalling" about having a good social life, eating well and being able to afford travel.

Expensive compared to wages is fair, but appalling is not. Please refrain from ridiculous exaggeration in future. You are doing new teachers a dis-service. They may read your comments and be put off giving a place like Bydgoszcz a chance. This would be a shame as it is a good place to start your career, and a fun place to live.
dynow

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottie1113 wrote:

Quote:
Not exactly, but you're on the right track.

Ok, "made tons of cash in the USA and....."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: