Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poland Jobs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Balls Reply with quote

So why do IH Bydgoszcz pay you through Glenrex educational services in the UK? I'll tell you why. It's because they pay you less than the UK taxable threshold ie the poverty line. With a similar cost of living that tells you everything.

The wages are appalling. IH advertised 1,800Zl a month last year.

I'm doing newbies a service by telling them it's a ludicrously low salary.

I would swear if I could. Get real.
TwinCentre

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
Twincenter and Shake are leaving Polska...

I have left already, alas, been gone 6 months now and teaching back in the State system in the UK (Not EFL).

If I had to go back to Poland, I would have to do something else I think....dunno, maybe sell golfing holidays in the UK to really rich Poles...or put some money into a new Fish and Chippy in Warsaw or an Anglo-Indian Curry house at affordable prices or even better, a Japanese Cooking School....anything but teach EFL, I like teaching but the conditions these days are a bit depressing for me to be honest.
scottie1113

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
scottie1113 wrote:

Quote:
Not exactly, but you're on the right track.

Ok, "made tons of cash in the USA and....."

Made a lot of money in California and spent it all. You're overlooking the obvious. Smile

I'm curious about how much IH Bydgoszcz actually pays nett. !800zl ia appalling unless it includes free housing. What's the real deal here?
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwinCentre wrote:
If I had to go back to Poland, I would have to do something else I think....dunno, maybe sell golfing holidays in the UK to really rich Poles...or put some money into a new Fish and Chippy in Warsaw or an Anglo-Indian Curry house at affordable prices or even better, a Japanese Cooking School....anything but teach EFL, I like teaching but the conditions these days are a bit depressing for me to be honest.

There's so much still to be done in Poland, it's amazing how much simply isn't "on the market" here. Heck, I had quite a lot of success last year by simply approaching people directly - quite a lot of small companies were happy to pay 60-70zl an hour for classes, and most schools never even bothered to contact them.

Quote:
I'm curious about how much IH Bydgoszcz actually pays nett. !800zl ia appalling unless it includes free housing. What's the real deal here?

Normally they pay around 2000zl plus free housing, which for a first year teacher with no real world experience - it's really not bad. They've generally got a good rep for training teachers as well. When you look at it as a package, it's not a bad way to get started at all.

Sure, it won't pay you to go jet skiing, staying in fine hotels, drinking expensive drinks in expensive bars and so on - but how many people with no experience in the real world do?
dynow

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottie1113 wrote:

Quote:

Made a lot of money in California and spent it all.

oh come on....i'm sure you managed to hold on to some of that cash Very Happy
sparks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
scottie1113 wrote:

Quote:

ew...! ew...! I'll take a crack at the Where-did-Scottie-get-his-money-from? riddle. OK... If I recall Scottie was a career Marine. From what I know after 20 years in the Army you retire with a pension of around $20,000 a year. Now, you also can get something like $100,000 for education as well. 60,000 PLN sure does help to pad that teacher's salary Smile

Well... Am I right?
scottie1113

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
Quote:
scottie1113 wrote:

Quote:

ew...! ew...! I'll take a crack at the Where-did-Scottie-get-his-money-from? riddle. OK... If I recall Scottie was a career Marine. From what I know after 20 years in the Army you retire with a pension of around $20,000 a year. Now, you also can get something like $100,000 for education as well. 60,000 PLN sure does help to pad that teacher's salary Smile

Well... Am I right?

Close but no cigar. I only spent 12 years in the Marines. Ergo no pension from those happy years. And I haven't married a wealthy Polish babe yet, nor am I likely to do so in the foreseeable future. But you're getting warmer.
sharter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: ex marine Reply with quote

Do you do lots of running dictations?

Lots of you guys out here in Kuwait.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: ex marine Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
Do you do lots of running dictations?

Lots of you guys out here in Kuwait.
Very Happy One more reason why I'll stay right her in Poland for the time being.

I've heard the Middle East is a Mecca for homos.
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

It's kind of true but does vary.

At Qatar Petroleum there were very few and 50 plus teachers. In Saudi we had 1 out of 20. In Libya none. Here I'd say about 25%....not usre as non advertise it.

The locals.....well that's another story.

Personally, I like women but I couldn't care less what other consenting adults do in their own bedrooms.

Sounds like you've got some hangups Wink
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: corrections Reply with quote

*sure
*none

My edit function isn't working.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hangups (I hope) but I the idea of being shut up in a compound with no women for several months a year doesn't really appeal to me.

By the way, I did see an interesting job offered in Southern Iraq teaching for an oil company:

- 30,000 GBP a year (tax free I believe)
- teach one month on / one month off (they fly you there and back home at the end of every month)
- You're on a compound and basically pay for nothing while your there. Good bennies.

I think I could do something like this - for a year anyway. But of course, there's always the chance of being attacked while you're working...
sharter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I was doing that until Feb of this year but in Libya and on a lot more money than that. It's great...the benefits of Poland with a good 'western' salary.

Here in Kuwait I'm just sticking it out till I go back to the Libyan oil company, who've been in touch....might be a wait though.

Iraq...wouldn't touch it for less than 100k, which is what 1 company advertised last year.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
By the way, I did see an interesting job offered in Southern Iraq teaching for an oil company:

- 30,000 GBP a year (tax free I believe)
- teach one month on / one month off (they fly you there and back home at the end of every month)
- You're on a compound and basically pay for nothing while your there. Good bennies.

Hmm, you'd have to be really careful with that if you lived in Europe - tax residency could trip you up in some way.

Couldn't do it though, I hate flying Sad
sharter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

In Libya we got a tax letter. No European tax at all. Oh and some just live in Thailand. Also, if you remit money from a money exchange and don't have your salary paid in directly by the employer that changes things too.

Rotations are the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: