Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brno vs Bratislava?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Brno vs Bratislava? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I dd a search but wasn't able to find a comparison between Brno and Bratislava. This was surprising as they seem the most likely 2nd choices to Prague.

Any thoughts on the job situation, salary vs. cost of living, quality of life, etc?

I'm traveling in Prague now but unfortunately won't have time to check those other 2 cities out for myself. A lot of people seem to be having a tough go of it in Prague so I'm thinking another city might be a better bet.
posh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to say, but both are a completely different option than Praha. Brno has a much more provincial flavour and no doubt much easier to meet people. Bratislava being a capital will be more expensive and probably more snobby.

I'd say Brno.
Chris Westergaard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bratislava is a bit rough around the edges. If you are looking for overall nicer people and a better community, you'll find it in Brno
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the replies.
JezSand

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's easier landing a job in Brno than Prague? I am planning on traveling either to Thai or Prague next week to begin researching TEFL courses on the ground. At the mo I'm torn between Thai and Prague. Would be great if any long-timers could give me advice on whether if they could do it all again if they would so it again in Prague or skip town and do a more exotic location. Any advice appreciated. Thanks! Jez
Just wanted to add that I have recently been laid off from work and I am looking to take a course in January now and begin teaching early Spring.
cks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left Prague kicking and screaming! I am temporarily in the Republic of Georgia due to my partner's amazing job. I'll be back forever when his position expires (maybe after a stint in Russia). However, I'm so partial to Slovaks, they are the kindest souls. If I were personally trying to choose between Bratislava and Brno, I would choose Bratislava for the people, and of course I have lots of friends there. The cost of living is quite high in Bratislava though, it depends on what you are after. The cost of living, the people, nightlife, ect...
ETA

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Brno, not too small, less known than Bratislava, and most importantly still close to Vienna!
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional thoughts. I'd guess it's hard to choose from a distance without first-hand experience. I also have no particular reason to go to one city over another. I was hoping there'd be a consensus about which city was the clear winner Smile
Clay_C.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Brno.
Mark

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay_C. wrote:
Another vote for Brno.

Any reason why you chose Brno?
Kofola

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd give you my take on the two cities - with the caveat that I lived in Bratislava for several years and have only ever visited Brno (although I do so fairly regularly).

First of all I suspect they are very comparable in terms of jobs, opportunities, pay, size, things to do. I don't particularly know about Brno, but jobs aren't difficult to come by in Bratislava.

Where they do differ is in atmosphere. The Slovaks basically have more of that inferiority complex associated with small nations and Bratislava embodies this in its embrace of everything new and 'western' and its rejection of all that is 'old', communist and Slovak. So if you�re after shopping centres and modern bars, there is plenty of that in Bratislava. One of the nice things about Brno though is that it has more traditional Czech pubs and restaurants. Drinking and eating out seem to be cheaper there. (In fact, I suspect you would get more for your money in Brno, but not having lived there can�t say for sure.)

I'm always quite struck in Brno by the number of different ethnicities I see (in comparison to Bratislava), often speaking Czech fluently, so I suspect there is more of a racial mix.

Brno definitely has more historical buildings, while Bratislava bore the brunt of communist architecture more.

In all honesty I�m not overkeen on Bratislava. I think it suffers a lot because most of its inhabitants are from other areas of Slovakia and they go �back to their home towns/villages� at the weekends (and this is across the board from students to managing directors). The result is that most of the people who live there don�t really like the city. I think this has an impact and so it lacks the feeling of community you get in other Slovak towns and cities. Pluses though would include it being located on the Danube and the great weather in the summer. Lots of cycling, roller blading, house boating, swimming in lakes, beer shacks to be had. No idea how that compares with Brno as I've only ever been in the city. If I had to choose I'd probably choose Bratislava over Brno as I really like the Slovaks and Slovakia...
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts.
sisyphus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be looking at demand in these places as this is the paramount problem in CZ, a huge amount of british and US expats, an indifference(largely) to high level quals so you cannot differentiate yourself, and a reduction in firms wanting language courses, a huge reduction. This is not good news for newbies, although there may be openings in gymnaziums etc but the money is impossible to live on. The good news? Errr.....Czech beer is pretty good Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: