Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

N/A
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
down_town_SLO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:55 am    Post subject: N/A Reply with quote

N/A

Last edited by down_town_SLO on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZPlatypus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: visa Reply with quote

I'd say spend a little $ on the 60-day. I don't think you'd want to feel pressured into taking a job just because your visa's expiring. Wouldn't it be better to have some extra time and have the luxury of turning down a sub-par job offer if you think you could do better ?

But I came to Taiwan with no teaching experience and I don't know how much the difference in cost of a 30 vs. 60-day visa is, but it didn't seem like much to me. Your situation may be different.
down_town_SLO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/A

Last edited by down_town_SLO on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr_Zoidberg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a 30-day visa convertible? It always used to be the case that only the 60-day tourist visa could be converted to a residence visa. Has that changed?
yamahuh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody seems to know what's what with the visa situation any more.

Canadians are being offered a 90 day visa exempt entry - can it be turned into a work permit?

From TECO's perespective - Why would you pay for a 60 day when you can get a 90 day for free? Unless of course you're hoping to work - request denied... Rolling Eyes

It would be nice to hear from someone who's been through the visa process recently and can shed some light on the subject.
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, I'm assuming you're American based on the data you have mentioned. And as another American who has worked in Taiwan for over a year and a half, I'm telling you, get the 60-day visa. This is really extremely simple.

The 30-day landing permit is not convertible to a work visa. The 60-day visa is.

In other words, the 30-day landing permit will actually end up costing you MORE money in the long run, because you'll have to make a visa run (likely at your own expense, since most schools don't pay for visa runs). And if you think the 60-day visa is expensive, wait until you total the cost of a flight to Hong Kong with a night's stay at a hotel there, various taxi/visa processing fees, etc.

By the way, the things you mentioned (the $1,000 bank balance, the itinerary, etc.) were NOT required for my 60-day visa. And DO NOT show them your contract. If they suspect you're going to work on a 60-day visa, they will put you on the next plane home at the port of entry.
down_town_SLO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/A

Vendetta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an American, and all I can say is that you need the 60 day extendable, and please note; there are not many jobs here. If I were you, I'd skip Taiwan and look elsewhere like the Middle East or something.
wayne1523

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzkillll
down_town_SLO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N/A

Last edited by down_town_SLO on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vendetta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

down_town_SLO wrote:
@Vendetta Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to try anyway given that I'm already in Asia and it will not cost much to fly into Taiwan. Of course one can never be sure of anything but I suspect there are a few jobs on the island. Also as you mentioned there are many countries throughout the world that employ ESL teachers. If one is motivated and flexible I don't see many real reasons why one couldn't get a job somewhere.

I'm going to get the 60 day. Thanks to all for the advice.
Okay, Good luck!
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

down_town_SLO wrote:
I am American. The 60 day does sound like the way to go. The things I mentioned must be new.

I'm in Korea and had a friend call the consulate in my city and those were the things listed, just to receive a 60 day visa. My current contract is up here in February and the time I'd be looking to come would be in March. I assume they want to see my contract from Korea. Are you talking about not showing them that or one I may already have from Taiwan?(I don't have one yet) If I have a solid enough itinerary I'd hope they'd sign off on it. I don't think I can get out of showing them my current contract. Maybe I can?

When you came what did you need? Just a form and the fee?

Thanks for the info on this everyone.
Yeah, if at all possible, avoid showing them even your current contract in Korea. If you show it to them, they'll know for sure that you're an English teacher and it will automatically indicate why you are planning to visit Taiwan on a 60-day visa (to get a job).

In my case, money and an application form and my passport were all that were required.

Taiwanese immigration officers CAN be a bit suspicious. I've had immigration officials at the port of entry and in the Taiwanese office in Korea sneer when they asked my reason for entering Taiwan I told them I was going to "go surfing on Cijin Island for a month or two." And that was without a gram of evidence that I had ever taught English before.
steve_c

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamahuh wrote:
Nobody seems to know what's what with the visa situation any more.

Canadians are being offered a 90 day visa exempt entry - can it be turned into a work permit?

From TECO's perespective - Why would you pay for a 60 day when you can get a 90 day for free? Unless of course you're hoping to work - request denied... Rolling Eyes

It would be nice to hear from someone who's been through the visa process recently and can shed some light on the subject.

Someone on Forumosa recently asked if anyone had first-hand experience of converting a visa-exempt entry once you get your work permit. A user called 'the bear' stated:

Once you get your work permit you go to the Bureau of Consular Affairs (Jinan St) and apply for a visitor visa. Note though that when you then apply for your ARC (at the immigration office) you have to pay a second visa fee to get the visitor visa switched to a resident visa (which is purely a hypothetical visa since it lives inside your ARC card.)

Here's a link to the post; the quote above appears on page 2 of the thread:http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=103343

Hopefully other Canadians who've been through the process recently will chime in.
learningenglish168

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I came 3 years ago ON A 30 day visa, I was informed by the school that hired me that I would have about a 5 day period to find a job in order to process the visa (25 day process) otherwise I would have to re-enter. If that is still true, you should get the 2 month visa but I heard that you need money in your account for that to prove that you have enough funds.

One thing to note here; You would be crazy to look for a job until after Chinese New Years.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

learningenglish168 wrote:
When I came 3 years ago ON A 30 day visa, I was informed by the school that hired me that I would have about a 5 day period to find a job in order to process the visa (25 day process) otherwise I would have to re-enter. If that is still true, ...

It isn't.
Over the past few years I would guess that most people have been entering on 60 day tourist visas. The question now is whether that is still a valid option for Canadians and other nationalitites who qualify for the visa-exempt 90 day entry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: