Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad Economy in Taiwan? Difficult for Teachers to Find Work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
creztor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more.
learningenglish168

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Economy in Taiwan? Difficult for Teachers to Find W Reply with quote

rbos wrote:
I'm planning on traveling to Taiwan soon to look for work as an ESL Teacher. However, since the worldwide economy is in general in decline right now, I wonder, is the economy experiencing a lot of problems in Taiwan?

If so, how is the economy impacting prospective teacher's chances of finding employment and how is it affecting the amount of money they receive as a salary? For example, is the economy bad enough that parents aren't enrolling their kids as much in English classes?

-Thanks

I thought I would be nice enough to give an update to this question since it seems like a good one.

I've been living in Taipei, Taiwan for 3+ years as an Adult English teacher / teacher trainer / corporate trainer and substitute for kindergartens.

Based on my experience, I can only speak for Taipei.

Taipei : If you are willing to teach kindergartens, you should have no problem. Even though, the Gov't suggested eliminating all kindergartens within the next 2 years...

If you teach adults, well, ummm... You would need to be employed with a couple of different employers. Teaching positions have definitely dried up. When I started at my school we had 3 floors and 10 teachers. Now we have half a floor and 3 teachers within a period of 3 years.

junior high school / high school students (at a cram school) : definitely still an option, but many people have said it is a depressing job.

corporate classes: tons of opportunities, however, for every 2 hour class, factor in 2 hours (unpaid) for commuting and prep work. I'm really into this, but most people can't hack it.

still considering coming here? You should!!! stick around for a while and you will find private gigs that pay 800 Nt an hour, albeit somewhat flaky.

also, ending on a positive note - there are some industries here that are being reinvented or are directly pegged to the smartphone industry which has given me tons of work as of late. And there is a still a huge demand for native English teachers who teach test prep work.

Hope that helps.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
I have taught five friends how to make between $1000-2000 online a month. They could earn more but they still have day jobs.

What bozos!! Why would they pass up the golden opportunity to fully participate in Jz'ers patented profit plan?

JZer wrote:
teaching, writing, translating, etc.
The possibilities are endless.

Yup - those cyber streets are paved with gold!

JZer wrote:

There is no reason one cannot make $2000-3000 online and live in Costa Rica.

Rolling Eyes Here we go again... JZ'ers famous statements regarding how much money we could all make if we would all just listen to him...

JZer wrote:

Hidden, the previous post couldn't be clearer. It is interesting that ESL teachers tend to lack basic reading skills.

Making friends and influencing people as usual I see.
Why are you still trolling these boards? Do you even live and teach in Taiwan now?
JZer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily, I don't live in Taiwan any more.
creztor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, luckily.
yamahuh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
Luckily, I don't live in Taiwan any more.

And we're all so much poorer for your absence.
creztor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banking is easy in Taiwan.
Why would anyone move when you can bank non-stop?
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JZer wrote:
teaching, writing, translating, etc.

The possibilities are endless.
To be fair, it is possible to be employed online, and $1,000 - $2,000 per month doing it is possible if you have skills (i.e. not just the ability to speak English, which any outsourced Indian can do for $2 an hour, but an actual job skill).

I have been working for Gate Tong on a part-time basis since December 2010, mainly doing proofreading and translations (Korean Arrow English). The pay is 6,500 won per page for proofreading, and 12,000 won per page for translations. This works out to a per-hour rate that is not as much as my FT teaching gig, but it still puts a few hundred extra bucks in the bank per month, sometimes.

That said, I'm strongly considering quitting that job soon because I'm sick of coming home after an eight-hour day of work to find in my inbox "Charles, we need you to do these 15.4 pages by tomorrow morning at 10:00!" Then I proceed to spend four MORE hours working that I hadn't anticipated, and that just sucks. Back when I had student loans, I put up with it, but now that I have a positive net worth, it doesn't seem worth it anymore. I'd rather have my evenings free to relax and study.

But yes, money can be made online. I routinely get paid several hundred extra bucks a month for my online work, which averages out to only "part-time" (though some nights I definitely feel like it's full-time when they throw me a huge project like a 20+ page translation or something like that).

I suspect that if I ran my own company online, I'd make even more money, because I'd be cutting out the middle man.
creztor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: