Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International House Integra Bielsko
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
WRT-Warsaw, I just think that there are much nicer places where you can make the same amount of money when adjusted for cost of living.

I agree that there are nicer Polish cities to live in than Warsaw (Warsaw's not the total dump you make it out to be, either). But I think you can earn more money in Warsaw than anywhere else in Poland, even taking into account the slightly higher cost of living here.

Mind you, you've really got to have sound teaching chops and good business sense to earn 8-10+ k a month NET, but it can be done, and done without working for the British Council (I know several people who've done it).

On the other hand, there are also teachers here who slave away for 4k a month year after year.
maniak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richfilth wrote:
of course I know what's Poland's like, and my comments were no more or less asinine than I hope yours were. The point being it's as ridiculous to pull out the 20zl bulb change as an example of "Real Poland" as it is to expect anyone to stick to the 90km/h speed limit.

In that regard you're right, and I apologize for my hyperbole. I just hoped it could counter the fairytale picture being painted by other posters. If you want I can give you numerous instances where and how I or friends or family got ripped off by a mechanic and not by something stupid like a light bulb change. Of course its nothing different from any other country, but having others post that something like car maintenance is "cheap" is incredibly misleading
Richfilth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poland is no more expensive than any other European countries when it comes to motoring, and in many ways is considerably less. Like everything else in life, it just comes down to being a discerning consumer.

I understand the wild quotes for insurance here; when I insured my own car I got quotes from 1000 to 4000 zl; unsurprisingly I went for the cheaper.

But compared to the UK, in Poland I don't pay road tax, I don't pay as much for fuel, I don't pay as much for my yearly check-up, I have no problem buying my own parts for the same price or even cheaper than the UK, and garage labour per hour is considerably less in Poland, even in the capital, than anywhere where I'm from.
Of course, the dealerships (stealerships) will rob you blind; they do in every country. You just have to know where to go. Even then, Poland BMW only charges 5zl for that copper nut (1 pound, not 2).

The advice I can agree on would be "don't walk into any mechanic expecting Eastern Europe to be automatically cheap".
sharter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: page 7 Reply with quote

This has turned into a tome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: