Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Milan 2012 advice needed....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jphunt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Milan 2012 advice needed.... Reply with quote

Apologies if this question has come up, but I found no similar problems while trawling through the forum.

Basically I am an EU national, English native speaker, have CELTA and speak Italian, and would like to teach in Italy (Milan) starting from the September 2012 hiring period. The main problem is that although I will have finished studying by that time, due to certain formalities etc, I won't actually graduate and have a degree until November/December 2012.

I would like some advice regarding whether or not the degree is completely necessary, and if so, would employers be understanding of the fact that I would be just a couple of months away from receiving it, or ignore me for not having it at the time of the interview.

I should add that I do not have experience teaching, and with this in mind I would appreciate any honest responses regarding my chances of finding work, as I still have time to shift my attention to another country if the outlook for Italy is bleak. Thanks for any help!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outlook is not great. Generally employers look for a degree first, then experience / CELTA. You might do better because you already speak Italian - but this might limit you to less-paying jobs / teaching young learners etc.

It's hard to see where you'd get work without a degree. AFAIK, most of Asia is out.

Why not graduate first, then look for teaching work...
jphunt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick and honest answer! The timing is just unfortunate, there is little I can do to about when I will graduate. Is there a secondary hiring season in January in Italy and how would you rate my chances then? The lack of experience seems to be an issue in Italy....

Edit: Just read your response to the January question in another thread.
rparamble

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: outlook is good Reply with quote

Hi JPHunt,
Dont worry in Milan there are definitely jobs at least till this month there have been. There are loads of schools in Milano, a good way to contact them is using eslbase.com/schools and then email all the schools.

I know quite a few people who havn't got degrees and work here. In fact there are quite a few teachers with no degrees or CELTA.

The best thing is to save money get yourself that list of schools email them, and come over to Italy .. you are quite likely to get hired if you fit the bill and if they have courses.

However with the current economic climate I'm not sure what is going to be outcome of our profession whether or not there is still money in it or if I should start looking for another job : S
All the best and keep hope there are jobs.
paul
milano

p.s. there is a good hiring season after January, I moved to Italy this year and had interviews lined up before I got here and in 2 days of arriving I had got three job offers. This was March though.
jphunt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the information, Paul!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: