Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bolivia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newdayrising

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Bolivia Reply with quote

Hey I did a search and there really isn't much up-to-date information about Bolivia here. Amongst a couple other possibilities I'm considering heading to Bolivia to teach. I've lived there for 5 months before on a study abroad program so I already know what life is like there and I supposedly still have friends there.

But what's the job situation like? I'm mainly interested in La Paz and maybe Sucre. What places should I apply to? How difficult will the visa situation be as an American?

Thanks for any info!
EMH1969

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know anything about the job situation. But Americans are required to get a visa at a cost of $135. The great thing is that it's a five year visa. You'll also need an up to date yellow fever vaccination card.
newdayrising

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any info at all about jobs or schools? I'll be visiting Bolivia in the first two weeks of February. I'd like to have a few interviews while I'm there and if I find a situation that seems alright I'll stay. I get the impression that Bolivia isn't a very typical or popular tefl destination so I'm sure the native speaker/CELTA thing will greatly work to my advantage if I can figure out where to apply in the first place.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newdayrising wrote:
Any info at all about jobs or schools? I'll be visiting Bolivia in the first two weeks of February. I'd like to have a few interviews while I'm there and if I find a situation that seems alright I'll stay. I get the impression that Bolivia isn't a very typical or popular tefl destination so I'm sure the native speaker/CELTA thing will greatly work to my advantage if I can figure out where to apply in the first place.

See my PM
newdayrising

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the pm!

So I still don't arrive in Bolivia for another week or two. But I've looked into things and found some schools. I'm pretty concerned about the visa/work permit situation though. I haven't found any info specifically tefl-related, but a couple internet sources claim it is possible to enter on a tourist visa and get a work permit (I have a tourist visa) when you find a job, while most say you need to enter on a special purposes visa if you want to eventually work. Anybody know about this? I had to get a student visa last time I was there and I know what a mess those tramites are.
Conquense54

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Beware Cambridge College, Santa Cruz, Bolivia Reply with quote

To those of you thinking about moving to Bolivia, beware of Santa Cruz, in particular Cambridge College, who are once again advertising for EFL teachers. Please read my other entries in this forum and if in doubt ask me for further information. I would hate for anyone else to go through what myself and 3 other ex-colleagues have gone through.
newdayrising

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I should give an update since this thread has been bumped.

So I entered Bolivia on a tourist visa to hangout with some friends. I didn't try very hard in terms of job hunting but I got the impression that there are way less schools in Bolivia compared to other countries like Colombia or even Peru. I had one interview at a small institute the first day I arrived in La Paz and although I was offered work I was pretty discouraged about working in Bolivia. That place hired teachers on tourist visas meaning that you'd have to leave after 3 months and wait an entire year before being able to return. The guy I interviewed with said that work visas for Americans are $700 and maybe I'm wrong, but I sort of figured that it was industry-standard there that employers won't cover that since this particular one wouldn't. So I could've stayed for 3 months, but I just wasn't feeling it at the time.

Bolivia is a wonderful country, though. The people there are so nice. I can't wait to go back! Right now I'm either going to go to Asia or save money at home somehow so I can afford to travel there and spend more time with my friends. I also think I will make a more serious effort finding work there next time.
ruth.s

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Just wondering if you could give us an update! Did you end up going to Asia or have you tried again in Bolivia? I'm loosely thinking of looking for work in Bolivia - what advice would you give, if any?

Thanks

Very Happy
[email protected]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Beware Cambridge College, Santa Cruz, Bolivia Reply with quote

I've just been offered a job with Cambridge College Santa Cruz and don't know whether to accept. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: Beware Cambridge College, Santa Cruz, Bolivia Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I've just been offered a job with Cambridge College Santa Cruz and don't know whether to accept. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

That's the intl school, right? Have you asked to talk to current teachers? INtl schools are usually good or at least decent palces to work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: