Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL Job Finder: Scam?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: ESL Job Finder: Scam? Reply with quote

I got an email this morning asking me if I knew if esljobfinder.net was a scam. The website looks decent, though the photos are obviously stock photos.

My gut says it is, or at least they're not telling the whole truth, Czech RepubliK and a couple other spelling mistakes.

They make you pay, which raises a red flag, but seem honest about salaries, I checked for Romania and they're pretty low, which is what you would expect there.

Thought? Anyone? tttompatz?
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: ESL Job Finder: Scam? Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
I got an email this morning asking me if I knew if esljobfinder.net was a scam. The website looks decent, though the photos are obviously stock photos.

My gut says it is, or at least they're not telling the whole truth, Czech RepubliK and a couple other spelling mistakes.

They make you pay, which raises a red flag, but seem honest about salaries, I checked for Romania and they're pretty low, which is what you would expect there.

Thought? Anyone? tttompatz?

I don't know them but I would NEVER pay for a job (it is actually illegal to charge the job searcher in many countries).

spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With the advent of the EU labor law it is now difficult (and is some cases impossible) for teachers who don't hold an EU passport to get working visas in some countries. This doesn't mean that it's difficult or impossible to find work, just to get your official papers in order. However, with the ridiculous bureaucratic requirements, still in place in some EU countries, even EU passport holders give up on getting work visas! It will certainly be easier if you are a citizen of an EU member state but it is not an insurmountable problem if you aren't.

While I wouldn't say it's necessarily a scam, it certainly is misleading. The first implication is that non-EU member citizens have a chance to get working papers. As the reality is that the opportunities to do this are basically limited to working on a student visa (attending a school full time) or quickly marrying a local, I'd say that the wording It will certainly be easier if you are a citizen of an EU member state but it is not an insurmountable problem if you aren't above is overly optimistic.

The second implication ( even EU passport holders give up on getting work visas) is that EU member citizens also have trouble getting work visas in the EU - this is simply ridiculous.

The third implication seems to be that it's OK to work illegally ('...not difficult or impossible to find work, 'just' to get your official papers in order....'). Of course people do choose to work illegally in some European countries, but if they are unaware that there are risks, that's unfair.

On the individual country 'fact' information, stuff like this:
Quote:
The current job opportunities in Italy for TEFL teachers are numerous. In some cities there are more jobs than teachers, while in other parts of the country the prospects are still good. In virtually every city in Italy a qualified TEFL teacher will be able to find a teaching position. Many teachers really enjoy the lifestyle that Italy offers even if the salaries are fairly low in relation to the cost of living. As Italy is an EU country work prospects favor British and Irish citizens, though there are literally thousands of Americans teaching there too.

further implies that it's either possible to get a work permit or that one's not really necessary. Again, while it may not be a scam, I think it's misleading.

They have only five jobs posted for the European continent right now (Russia, Ukraine, Poland), which seems legit as very few jobs here are found from abroad, with Russia and Georgia being the biggest exceptions I know of.

Last edited by spiral78 on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're right. It doesn't look scam-y, (I mean, they don't have you seen heaps of cash to Nigeria) but it's somehwat deceiving or dishonest. I wonder what they do, since they say they cover visa fees. Maybe they skirt the issue by having people enroll in courses and get a student visa?

not sure, but thanks for all the replies. I hope the guy who emailed me this question is reading this Smile
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: ESL Job Finder: Scam? Reply with quote

tttompatz wrote:
I don't know them but I would NEVER pay for a job (it is actually illegal to charge the job searcher in many countries).

I agree, but the only exception to that (for me) would be for intl school jobs. To attend a recruitment fair or get access to their job listings. That's legit. I don't like paying, but I haven't come across any recruitment fairs that are free.
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: ESL Job Finder: Scam? Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
tttompatz wrote:

I agree, but the only exception to that (for me) would be for intl school jobs. To attend a recruitment fair or get access to their job listings. That's legit. I don't like paying, but I haven't come across any recruitment fairs that are free.

Paying to attend an event (job fair) or even paying to "join" a website (with no promise of employment) is different than paying a recruiter for a job.

eslsaint

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: esljobfinder.net scam Reply with quote

Hi.

I am the guy that emailed Naturegirl321 with the question about www.esljobfinder.net.

Thanks to everyone for the info.

I just discovered that www.esljobfinder.net was actually using another
name before....www.tefl-europe.com.

I though i received a similar email before so i ran a search in my email and found an identical email from www.tefl-europe.com.

It does seem like a scam.
Mushakil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Scam Reply with quote

They sent an email saying they updated their jobs.

I have been monitoring the site for several months and the same jobs are there.

I believe it is a high level scam. Don't pay for this. It is too good to be true.
nelsonjose29

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid for their services and They never answered me once I paid. They are a complete scam. I lost $ 395.
coledavis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Nelsonjose. I'm really sorry this happened to you and I think people should thank you for letting us know about this.

General rule: do not pay up front for services. (I came across another such scam some time ago: a job was 'offered' but you had to pay up front for accommodation. Fortunately, I contacted the school only to find that the ad was nothing to do with the school.)
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelsonjose29 wrote:
I paid for their services and They never answered me once I paid. They are a complete scam. I lost $ 395.

Thank you, nelsonjose, for letting us know this. I'm sorry to hear that you lost so much money, but perhaps your post here will prevent others from doing the same.
Scambuster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: NEVER PAY A COMMITMENT FEE Reply with quote

If any school or employment agency asks for an upfront fee, or a 'Commitment Fee' , don't bother.

These are 99.99% scams. They prey on people desperate to get work and who think 'Well if that what it takes' and they take the risk. DON'T.

If you haven't sent your CV and they havent interviewed you, you should be wary. Get a copy of their work contract and or Letter of Intent before you commit but NEVER send money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: