Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job Market Come June

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lalazart

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Job Market Come June Reply with quote

I will be graduating in early May with my BA in TESOL, and I plan on heading to Taiwan shortly after graduation. Can anyone comment on my chances of finding work in Taipei, and if there is anything I can do now to help my chances when may comes around?
creztor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% chance you'll find work. Want to increase your chances? Cut your hair, shave your beard and let them know you'll take any kind of punishment, meaning will happily turn up early and attend all their activities like Halloween and Christmas parties that will be scheduled on your day off so as to piss you off the most. I am being serious Wink If they think you will do what you are told and won't cause a problem, they'll hire you.
lalazart

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creztor thanks for the response.

100%? In Taipei? I would love to believe you, but everyone on these forums seems to be saying how difficult it is with the low birthrate and the amount of new foreigners. I hope you are right, but I plan giving myself 2 months to find a job.
creztor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find a job. It may not be a job you want or like, but I believe 100% you could find work in Taipei if you looked hard enough and weren't picky. I am also one of those naysayers who can only see doom and gloom in Taiwan, but there are jobs in Taipei IF you aren't picky.
learningenglish168

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will definitely find work. but with your degree you should aim for some kind of international school or something of that sorts and they don't usually start until September me thinks...

Maybe you could line up a summer camp job to get you through summer otherwise you might be stuck at a bushiban (cram school) for a years contract and those can get messy to leave from early.

check out the tealit dot com site for more specifics...
Murat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others have said, if you're willing to suffer, there are lots of opportunities ... Smile
Murat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like others have said, if you're willing to suffer, there are lots of opportunities ... Smile
lalazart

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering is relative. I consider being stuck in a small, Wisconsin, college town for the winter just as bad, if not worse, than being stuck at a cram school.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: