Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work Permits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannenbr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Work Permits Reply with quote

I have been applying to English language institutes for a while now in Berlin. I have been invited in for quite a few interviews coming up soon here. A few of the e-mails I have received recently (one from Berlitz, for example) invited me in for an interview but then said I need to confirm that I already have a permit to work in Germany. As I understand it, as a U.S. citizen I must first obtain proof of a job offer and then apply for the work permit (with all of the other requirements). I do not understand why they are asking me to confirm that I already have a permit. They know that I have not yet arrived in Germany and that I am a U.S. citizen. Could anyone tell me what this means? I was so excited that Berlitz had finally called me in for an interview, but now I fear it will not work out because of this.

Thanks a lot.
artemisia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to say what their motivation is. Maybe they just don't want to bother with helping you through the precedure? It's unlikely they wouldn't know what's involved. Although the onus would be on you to apply for a permit, they would most likely have to assist you. Maybe they've had experience of that before, and maybe not.

Unless someone with direct experience of this situation with a language school responds, I think you can really only point out your situation and ask them directly.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find some relevant info here:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=93350

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=92394

Generally, Berlitz is looking for part-timers who already live in the area - I think it's quite rare that they would seriously consider a candidate living abroad. I expect that they may be interested in 'you' (and others in your situation) after you arrive and have paperwork in order - possibly/probably by getting a letter of intent from another school, so that Berlitz isn't responsible for the hassles of helping you get paperwork sorted.

Do keep in mind that it's pretty difficult to get work papers sorted for Germany as a US citizen. It's do-able, but problems and hassles are quite commonly encountered - better to expect them in advance than to be surprised when they pop up!
JN

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should just tell Berlitz that you will get your permit when you get to Germany, after, of course, telling them that you aren't currently in Germany, etc. With the money you have and the intent to free-lance, you should be able to get a permit. If you haven't, then check out the labo Berlin Auslaenderbehoerde site. Health ins. is a must. Getting the permit is a hassle, but should work. They actually never asked me to prove that I had funds to stay here, but my situation may be different than yours.
As has been said before, with permits it seems to differ from city to city, but I think it might differ also with who you talk to. I did get a new permit recently, but it wasn't correct and went back again before leaving and got it fixed. Yes, it was a hassle and I still have to wait for approval from the employment office, but I have a temporary permit, so can work.
Hope this info. helps some.
ioamosalerno

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about Berlin, but I'm in the midst of the bureaucratic hell myself. You will need health insurance for sure. Right now, they got 2 other bureaus involved with my case, not including the visa office.....
dannenbr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot everyone. I replied to the e-mail and basically let them know I am aware as a US citizen that I first need proof of work to apply for my permit. They replied and said to come in for the interview and that they can help me with the permit. Perhaps they did not want to bother with people who aren't aware of the permit process...

I appreciate all of the answers. Thanks again.
esl4everever

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: freelance permit link Reply with quote

i don't even know if this will help anyone at this point - but - heres a link.

http://www.berlin.de/labo/auslaender/dienstleistungen/selbststaendige_en.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: