Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How's the pollution?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proffeshnial Teachman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: How's the pollution? Reply with quote

I was there a few years ago and found it quite the absolute worst in Asia (not done the big Chinese mega-cities yet). Some days in Tainan devolved into a gloopy, thick fog. And think I used to go running in it! Mad
creztor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pollution?
Murat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creztor wrote:
What pollution?

Varies from fairly clear to bad/dangerous. The stench of open sewers and scooter exhaust never lets up, though (in Taichung).
creztor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's pollution in Taiwan?
yamahuh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see it due to the terrible air quality Laughing
Dr_Zoidberg

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murat wrote:
Varies from fairly clear to bad/dangerous. The stench of open sewers and scooter exhaust never lets up, though (in Taichung).

I'll second that. In fact I could probably make not a bad wage from photographing polluting scooters I see every day and turning them over to the authorities.
creztor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can photograph them if you want, but you won't get paid. The reason being is that you only get paid if the people who get fined pay. The news covered this story a little while ago and they reported that there's so many people who aren't paying the fines that those who used to make good money reporting the polluters are now just wasting their time driving around taking photos, making videos and never seeing a dime.

P.S: I really can't see the pollution. I've been here too long or need glasses?
brettb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved to Kaohsiung in May 2011. I had heard bad things about the pollution but I didn't really notice any pollution other than the sewer stench which was pretty inescapable and unpleasant, but not necessarily bad for my health. I lived in the north of the city and I heard that the pollution was worse in far south, so maybe I just didn't see the worst of it.

In August, I moved to Taichung. WOW! What a difference!!!! The sewage smell was still an issue but it was actually better than Kaohsiung. The REAL problem was/is smog and industrial/motor pollution. It gets better in the winter because the pollution literally rises up in the cold air is escapes the city more easily. In summer I found it near unbearable. Many days you cannot see the sun despite the lack of clouds.

I used to smoke but gave up when I came to Taiwan. I worry that despite giving up I am still doing the equivalent damage of a pack a day habit.
markcmc

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's pollution in Taiwan, but I don't think it's as bad - anymore - as some other Asian countries. It's certainly better than some of the large Chinese cities.
Timberdan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pollution in Taiwan is my biggest complaint about Taiwan (I don't have many bad things to say about the country.) Last mach i could feel my lungs getting a little worse from the pollution hanging in the air. I guess they should encourage people to buy the electric powered scooters.

China has worse pollution though.
chenyishi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't been in Taiwan since 2010, but there were often concerns of acid rain sometimes after periods of no rain. Many people still wear face masks, but I think those are more of a fashion statement than an actual attempt to filter breathing air.
markcmc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taiwan is not as bad - pollutionwise - as most other Asian countries I've been to. If pollution really concerns you, you shouldn't live in any big city. The pollution in London and Paris can be bad at times.

Consider getting a job in the countryside.
brettb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you compare Taiwan to China then sure, it is hardly polluted by comparison.

Things vary quite a bit depending on where you are in Taiwan. Some areas are not at all bad.

I live in Taichung and it really is quite bad. I've lived in London and I can say Taichung is a lot worse by comparison.
lewis1919

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Asthma Reply with quote

I'm got 'mild' asthma. Spent a long time living in the Taiwanese countryside and had no problems but after a few months of living in Taipei my asthma really started to deteriorate. On a trip to Europe at the moment and it's cleared up for the first time in ages. I haven't used my inhaler since I've arrived but it got to the stage in Taipei where I was using it a few times a day.
shepherdsdog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not smog....it's sea mist. Laughing I was told this several times by locals. Sorry, I grew up in Victoria, BC and 'sea mists' smell like the ocean, not a mix of vehicular exhaust, industrial and human waste. It is better than it was when we first came in '97....when long timers told us it was better than when they first came.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: