Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job Hunting Strategy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne1523

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Job Hunting Strategy Reply with quote

Anybody care to dispense some quick pointers on how to job hunt more efficiently? Finally I've finished the CELTA, leaving me just a week and a half left to pack up my stuff and go. So, I really don't have much time to do some extensive research. All I've been applying to are Tealit listings. But ofcourse, everybody knows about it so I'm sure there's like a million applicants for each listing. I'll hit up those ones too nonetheless upon arrival.

If I'm not sure of what city I'd like to teach in, is there any extra advice with how to get started besides just going into a city and calling up the directory of schools? Of course, alot of schools also aren't advertised/listed. How do I sift out the schools rather than to just go walking in/cold calling to try to save time and energy, if such ways exist?

I'd also like to toss an unrelated question in here. Which places are the cheapest to live in while still having a decent amount of teaching jobs? (Taoyuan, Tainan, Hsinchu, Maoli, Taichung, Kaohsiung, etc.)

Thank you.
dangerousapple

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think walking in is still the best way to job hunt. If you are down south, keep checking the yahoo group kaohsiungliving (NOT kaohsiungliving.org). Most of the job vacancies in the Kaohsiung/Pingtung area show up here. I can't say for any other part of Taiwan.

My only other advice is not to make a big deal of your year of teaching in Korea. Most employers won't care, and some employers actually view Korea teaching experience in a bad light. Be energetic, don't talk yourself up too much during the interview, and be ready for a few bumps. If you hang in long enough, you'll make it.

Good luck!
forefit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayne1523, I read something like this earlier tonight on Forumosa. Oh. Wait. It's you!! Laughing
wayne1523

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dangerousapple
yamahuh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want cheap living you need to avoid Taipei and Hsinchu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: