Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Corruption in Taiwan's education system

View previous topic :: View next topic  
romanworld

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Corruption in Taiwan's education system Reply with quote

I'm a regular reader of the China Post and Taipei Times and have been quite horrified at the number of stories that are appearing about corruption in Taiwanese education. The latest scandal involves elementary and high school principals receiving bribes and kickbacks from school lunch suppliers:

The bribery usually would take the form of a lump sum � a few hundred thousand Taiwan dollars � prior to the contractor review, and then monthly kickbacks of a few dollars for each student subscribing to the meals.

It means that for a meal for which a student pays somewhere between NT$30-50, about one tenth would end up in the pockets of corrupt principals in the form of monthly kickbacks.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/editorial/taiwan-issues/2011/12/09/325318/p2/Corruption-has.htm

And in the Post today, there is further information about the kind of sums that were exchanging hands:

Since then 14 principals have surrendered more than NT$18.52 million in alleged bribe money.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2011/12/10/325500/Number-of.htm

This latest scandal is going to do nothing to improve Taiwan's dismal Corruption Perception Index(CPI), which seems to go from bad to worse:

http://www.intlhumanrights.com/CorruptionOfTaiwan.htm
Murat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corruption is a part of Taiwan in all its forms...the police were part of the mob boss hit in Taichung a few years ago! The former president is serving a life sentence! The one before that --Li Denghui -- is widely known to have taken even more money, but the investigations are repeatedly shot down -- as recently as this year -- because if Li Denghui goes down, pretty much everyone of power in the KMT goes down with him. The KMT, by the way, is the richest political party in the world, and they didn't get that money from donations...
romanworld

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murat wrote:
Corruption is a part of Taiwan in all its forms...

Following up on my earlier post about the school meals scandal, the China Post recently gave an update:

Prosecutors indicted eight principals in New Taipei City yesterday on corruption charges for allegedly taking bribes from school lunch suppliers.

The prosecutors sought severe punishments � ranging from 15 to 20 years in prison � specifically for three of the eight principals.

This is good news, but what is interesting about the published story is this:

The observers noted that some principals may have unintentionally broken the law by asking lunch suppliers to sponsor school activities. These principals were only trying to raise funds for their schools' tight budgets and never pocketed the money.

So it's OK to "unintentionally" break the law as long as it's done "to raise funds for their schools' tight budgets"? How absurd. On this logic, all kinds of criminal acts could be justified. "Sorry Judge, but I stole this TV because I don't have a job" or "Sorry gov', but I held up the bank because I don't 'av a nice new shiny printer in my office." Where did those in the Taiwanese Judiciary get their schooling? Maybe from repeated reruns of the Keystone Cops?

http://chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/taipei/2011/12/29/327328/Eight-principals.htm
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murat wrote:
Corruption is a part of Taiwan in all its forms...the police were part of the mob boss hit in Taichung a few years ago! The former president is serving a life sentence! The one before that --Li Denghui -- is widely known to have taken even more money, but the investigations are repeatedly shot down -- as recently as this year -- because if Li Denghui goes down, pretty much everyone of power in the KMT goes down with him. The KMT, by the way, is the richest political party in the world, and they didn't get that money from donations...

Great but in several western countries we have political parties that basically sell all the business opportunities to rich corporations. And gain wealth for family through sweet business deals to businesses owned by their brother or other family members.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romanworld,

I used to teach a private in starbucks to a Vice President of a bank's financial loans & mortgages department. He was top dog in that section of the company. I guess he' was in his early to mid 50s at the time (this is going back 4 or 5 years from now).

Anyways, after teaching him English weekly for several months I guess he started to trust me a little and so he started talking more openly about his job and things that happend at work.

It turns out, he bribed his way to the top. Now, while this may sound underhanded and evil, he said that everyone did it. In fact, his predecessor did it. And when it was his time to take over the predecessor's job as Vice President, he had to give his boss something like NT $400, 000 in order to show his "Thanks" and "Gratitude" for being "chosen" for the promotion.

I'm not so sure things have changed much over the last decade, but he was a nice man and in order for him to progress in his career, it required him to play by those rules. Bribery was an accepted but unofficial means of getting ahead in his bank. I assume also that this carries over to all corporate and government promotions.

On that note, Chinese Culture University has suffered a lot of criticism over the years because of such corruption. The rank of Associate Professor and Full Professor could be bought for the right price. Even Department Head and Chair positions were sold for a price. Again, I assume that this problem was / is systemic and not found only in one university.

I believe that all of the national universities have shaped up quite a bit in the last 10 years and are quite stringent in their hiring and promotional activities.

It's shocking, but that's how things have been, or still are, done here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: