Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Poland in 2012

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blaz88

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Poland in 2012 Reply with quote

Looking for opinions of the economic environment for Poland in the new year. Sure not much activity on these posts anymore.
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

They're all too busy doing privates to survive. TEFL is a dead duck in Poland. Read the financial news. Polish unemployment is high, it's got some debt and the Zloty has fallen. Germany excepted, no economy in Europe is ok right now. 2012 will be a mess.

Happy New Year.
hrvatski

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the value of the złoty as compared to your homeland's currency isn't enough to scare you off now, then it should do come July.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
They're all too busy doing privates to survive. TEFL is a dead duck in Poland. Read the financial news. Polish unemployment is high, it's got some debt and the Zloty has fallen. Germany excepted, no economy in Europe is ok right now. 2012 will be a mess.

Dead duck?

My bank account says otherwise. And I don't teach private lessons, and I don't work after 5pm, nor do I start before 8am (normally start at 10-11).

Polish unemployment isn't actually high at all - much of the "unemployed" either don't want to work or are already employed illegally anyway.

Paying attention to the Zloty exchange rate is meaningless - if it falls, it's great for Poland.
sharter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

If the Polish zloty falls, all those who got those Swiss Franc mortgages will be screwed. Poland will import inflation, just like the UK does. Yes, it may export more, but with the European economy teetering on the brink, the demand may not be there. Much of Poland's export industry is foreign owned and the benefits don't trickle down to your average domestic worker. It's not that simple.

Then this 10-5 8,000Zl job of yours.....where is that exactly in Poznan? Some guys at the uni make about 100Zl an hour less 19% tax...ie approx 80Zl, which turns out at about 6.5k a month max. You must have a very unique job. All the business English teachers I know have early starts. I'm sure the boys ( you and I know) would have heard about such a job.

Some of the things you say I find very hard to believe.
sharter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: and Reply with quote

And, at 12.1% unemployment is high. It isn't the 20% of 2003 but that got reduced by Poles working in the EU.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
Then this 10-5 8,000Zl job of yours.....where is that exactly in Poznan? Some guys at the uni make about 100Zl an hour less 19% tax...ie approx 80Zl, which turns out at about 6.5k a month max. You must have a very unique job. All the business English teachers I know have early starts. I'm sure the boys ( you and I know) would have heard about such a job.

Yes, Delph where exactly do you work? Time to spill the beans.

8k/mo, 10am-5pm...It sounds to me like you work at an international school or cushy uni or corporate job...

It's possible to earn 8k+ IN WARSAW, but I've never heard of any efl teacher doing it on the cozy schedule your claim to have.
john123

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privates to survive??

Charging less than a zloty a minute for privates is plain ridiculous. Dressing up smartly, armed with materials, a promise of sending lesson reviews after each lesson via email, and affirming you know the difference between chatting and language learning go along way.

Maybe the complainers are the ones who go to meet private students with food around their mush or something.
dynow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

mastershake wrote:

Quote:
Yes, Delph where exactly do you work? Time to spill the beans.

8k/mo, 10am-5pm...It sounds to me like you work at an international school or cushy uni or corporate job....

nope, nope, and nope. just sayin'.
hrvatski

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an article on Pudelek today about ACTA which kinda nicely sums up why Poland is not the best place to live economically: http://www.pudelek.pl/artykul/38176/acta_czyli_jak_celebryci_stracili_kontakt_z_rzeczywistoscia/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: