Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International House Bydgoszcz job ad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my goodness, still banging on!

You can easily live in Bydgoszcz on 1875zl (remember that this is just money in your hand since your rent and bills are paid for by the school).

The only thing you have to pay for is the internet and your phone bill. Since everyone has the internet and Skype these days then there's really no reason to have a phone bill at all. I never did.

I worked in Bydgoszcz until last June. I think I'm more on top of this situation than you. Nobody struggled for cash, the social life was really good, working at the school was really good. I know plenty of people still there who are very happy there.

But you say it's rubbish, and you obviously know best...

You don't have the right to put newbies off a good job just to look like you know it all.
dynow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknow wrote:

Quote:
Since everyone has the internet and Skype these days then there's really no reason to have a phone bill at all.

HAHAHAHAHA.

why have a phone at all when you can just run string throughout the town and everyone can have a tin cup attached to it at their window sills.
sharter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: just maybe Reply with quote

Maybe he's Bear Grylls and forages for food, contacts his privates by carrier pigeon and swipes other people's pints.
greggie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if they live above the school, why not bang a hole in the wall, why goto the bother of having to buy cans and string, which the school wont provide?and that comes from a teacher at ground zero today!
greggie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1875zl is that for a newbie?
sharter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I guess that pishes on Iknow's fireworks.....you're actually there. So, let's put this to bed; the money's crap right?

I don't want to be accused of 'hypocracy' again by Simon. Must be a squaddie.
greggie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharter to say the money is crap would be an improvement iknowwhatimtalkingabout was here last year and not at the moment. So firstly im sure they arent aware of the changes since New Year, with medicines going up by about 30%, cigarettes and petrol going up, more items having VAT added to them. And the Government put the minimum salary to 1500zl, so a teacher with extensive experience and qualifications gets 350zl more than someone who cleans the streets! How can anyone say that is enough to live on? At the moment i clear 7000zl, and other teachers that work for mainstream schools about 4700zl and they find it hard to live on that. Unless that is, if iknowwhatimtalkingabout calls eating in a milk bar and drinking cheap beer from Biedronka an exclusive lifestyle. As i did say earlier i feel its part of their management trying to clean the forum up. As for their management, i have never met a group of two-faced people before in my entire life, what they tell you before signing the contract is appealing, until you get here and it doesnt materialise.
Jack Walker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
delpian-domine wrote:

Quote:
I think the real point here is that you wanted more and you were unable in Poland to get it. Some of us did get it and have it.

oh......that's cute!

I'll tell ya.....it truly broke my heart to leave.....for surely my wife and I's brand spankin' new cars, steady jobs, 120 sq. meter apartment soon to be a house twice the size, private parking spots, warm weather 10 months out of the year, our currency that actually is worth something in a country where everything is cheap, our amazing restaurants just a short drive away, a huge international airport, huge wide open highways to drive on, surrounded by people that walk the streets that don't look like their dog just died, our in-ground pool on premises to take dips in when the summer gets hot.......yeah, I obviously got the $hit end of the stick, Delph.

if you had THAT at your easy disposal, you'd high tail outta there too but let's face it tough guy, you're from Scotland and you don't live there now for a reason. you're in Poland not because you can make it anywhere and you're ooooooh so savvy in business, it's because you met a Polish girl in Scotland and she held your hand into Poland, gave you free rent for 2+ years and powdered your a$$ giving you a nice easy transition to Polish life.

Let me know when you move to a foreign country without a sponsor and have to pay rent.....make it somewhere cold and post communist, then get back to "Team B".

Nice upper-cut for team B!!!
sharter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Delph talks chod Reply with quote

On Thursday November 24th 2011, Delph is telling newbs not to come on the 'Poland impending property doom' thread. Seems to contradict his Poland's better than paradise stance. There he's quoting 2,000Zl not Euros. Posting while under the influence? PUI.
gwiazda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greggie wrote:
And the Government put the minimum salary to 1500zl, so a teacher with extensive experience and qualifications gets 350zl more than someone who cleans the streets!

Just to point out on the behalf of those poor Poles who are slaving away for the minimum wage - the minimum wage is 1500 brutto. Which means that they actually take home about 1111zl...and then they have to pay their rent and bills...

Sad
simon_porter00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

sharter wrote:
I don't want to be accused of 'hypocracy' again by Simon. Must be a squaddie.

Come, come - i thought you had thicker skin then that Smile

If the squaddie thing was aimed at me, then no I'm not/wasn't, although i did try to get into the RAF as an officer, but my super strength glasses ruled that out though.

I know this is going wildly off-topic, but Sharter when you come to live in Poland again what are you going to do to keep yourself sane or earn money (should you need to)? It's going to be a tough old life if you'll compare it back to the good ol' days.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharter's probably only coming back with his pot of (hard-earned) Middle Eastern gold, and won't have to worry overmuch with the descending salary scale for TEFL teachers.

I am 'speaking' for him (though I'm making no claims for the accuracy of my sharter-assessment!!) as I'm doing essentially the same thing as regards the Czech Rep. I maintain family ties (and own property) here, but it's just far more lucrative to work elsewhere and visit often and plan a future in the region.

Gotta maintain the schnauzer's steak bits, flight tickets, and fashionable wardrobe, after all. Can't do it on a Czech salary - probably the same in Poland.
dynow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
......I maintain family ties (and own property) here, but it's just far more lucrative to work elsewhere and visit often and plan a future in the region.

Gotta maintain the schnauzer's steak bits, flight tickets, and fashionable wardrobe, after all. Can't do it on a Czech salary - probably the same in Poland.

Hmmm.....sounds a bit Team B-ish, eh? Very Happy
iknowwhatiamtalkingabout

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the school for a few years, and I'd respond to a few of the points raised here.

1) The management are fine unless you let them down. I've never known anybody to have a problem with them that didn't begin with the teacher.

2) The money is fine. Most new teachers are single people in their 20s. Anybody in that situation who can't live on 1875zl and a free flat has problems. I've never met anyone who couldn't. I've never met a teacher who has any desire to drink whiskey in a hotel bar. Who actually does that? In Poland or anywhere else?

3) Most people do not live above the school. 2 did last year. Why do people keep making out that most teachers do? My flat was about 15 minutes from the school and was absolutely fantastic.

4) Why do people keep insisting that I shopped at cheap places etc? I didn't. I shopped at Alma, drank all over the town, ate out regularly. I was never even close to running out of cash.

5) If it's so bad, why is their staff retention rate so good? They don't only retain staff, but they regain them. I know of a few people who left and then returned within a year or two. Hardly fits with the idea that it's an awful job with no money.

I'm still in touch with quite a few of my ex-colleagues and they all seem perfectly happy. I just find the knowitalls on this site rather sad.

Why put people off what could be a very good start to their career. I worked there for several years and enjoyed it. My colleagues seemed to enjoy themselves too. The training is regular and helpful. It's a good job for a new teacher. As I said before if I was a newbie again, I'd take that job again.
Jack Walker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dynow wrote:
spiral78 wrote:
......I maintain family ties (and own property) here, but it's just far more lucrative to work elsewhere and visit often and plan a future in the region.

Hmmm.....sounds a bit Team B-ish, eh? Very Happy

Precisely! Spiral...can we sign you up for Team "B"? We're a nice bunch and we have the best dinner parties as we live abroad and can afford to spend lavishly! Filet Mignon,grilled lobster tails,prawns,French wine,truffles and the like.

The Polish living Team "A" can only afford to offer you 2 day old crusty rolls,1zl beer in plastic bottles,soup packets and gristly Biedronka sausage. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: