Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teacher loses job over Facebook entries
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Teacher loses job over Facebook entries Reply with quote

Even though this is about Bahrain, I thought that I would post it here so that more people see it. There are 4 articles by this teacher linked on the Atlantic page.

There are things going on all over the Middle East these days, and one must be careful what one posts on Facebook or on this board if you are recognizable.

VS

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/01/witness-to-an-uprising-expelled-from-bahrain-for-posting-to-facebook/250752/
crewmeal1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the article should have taught us one thing and that is not to get involved with the Country's politics. If you love a Country as much as you do when there are problems stay out of the arena, as there will always be divisions. Your students will be on both sides of the fence and will always ask you for your opinion. Before you know it your words will be taken out of context and used against you in whatever form they like.

I had examples of this when teaching in Syria a couple of years ago. I have always known what the political situation has been like, but I love Syrians for the people that they are not their politics. I ensured I didn't get involved in any such discussions or take sides, especially as I didn't fully understand it. Many students asked me my opinion on Tony Blair and George Bush, and of course I said they'd done a lot of damage in the west which is what they wanted to hear, but that was it I wouldn't elaborate any further.

Moral of this story is stay out of the limelight if you want to enjoy that Country no matter what you think. Facebook is a no no with political feelings.
guanghoer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I always absolutely refused to do in China was to give political opinions. While I personally may believe in Tibetian autonomy or Taiwanese independence, it's not my job to say these things to my students.
2buckets

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first rule: Avoid discussions about religion, sex, and politics with students and locals.
Second rule: Keep your mouth shut and put your money in the bank, (or shares or gold).
Third rule: Take it easy, but take it.
ellethom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am constantly amazed about how much people are willing and seemingly compelled to share over social networking sites.

first of all, all of those drunk pictures on your facebook are not cute,

no one cares if you and your significant other are fighting.

No one wants to know about your sister's boil surgery, so please keep the pictures to your family circle

And, for the love of all that is sane, don;t criticize a country while you are there as a guest. yes, we know that back here in America, the land of the free and the home of the bravado, you are clear to say whatever to whomever. Its our right.

However, that right does not extend across American borders. how the hell do we get so self righteous as to tell others how to live? You don't like it when your parents do it to you....

All right, nuff said, soap box put away for the day.

Carry on.
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Without social media sites the Arab Spring would not have happened. Free speech is a right to all. It's free speech which protects us from tyranny and exposes corruption.

On a more basic level if you don't want to read about Jim's gran, don't read about her.

And, people have a right to give opinions as long as they are based on facts.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I and my minions in the KGB would like to echo this praise for social networks. In years past it would have taken us unimaginable resources, staff, man-hours etc. to keep track of all undesirables. Now, we can just put our feet up and let the anti-social elements do our work for us. It all started with mobile phones. Or, tracking devices, as we call them.

For more info on our dark aims, read this book by a leading Belorussian dissident on our lists, while you still can...: http://books.google.ru/books/about/The_Net_Delusion.html?id=D6itlLerfRIC&redir_esc=y
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sharter,

"And, people have a right to give opinions as long as they are based on facts."

Yup, that's one of the things I really liked about the Middle East - how free speech was so stoutly defended there Very Happy. Nobody would ever get into trouble in Saudi by voicing an opinion - as long as it was based on facts, of course. Rolling Eyes

Regards,
John
sharter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: John Reply with quote

I think you know more than anyone that sometimes you gotta put your head above the the sand bag and shoot back.

lol.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sharter,

That's true - but one has to pick one's fights very carefully and one has to use a lot of tact and diplomacy (i.e. manipulation).

But this thread seems to be concerned mostly with what one posts online while working abroad. There was no facebook when I was overseas, but Dave's was certainly around and so was e-mail. My simple rule back then was never to post/write anything that I wouldn't be comfortable having my bosses see.

Any other opinions about the country I was in, the people there, my job, etc., I either kept to myself or included in "snail mail."

That seems to me by be just common sense - but the numbers of people who've gotten into trouble over what they've put online would seem to indicate that the sense isn't all that common.

Some examples - and it can mean trouble right at home, too.

http://tinyurl.com/7fzfdyf

Regards,
John
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too bad that this site doesn't have a "Don't post a stupid post" rule like I've programmed my MS Outlook. I've put in a "Don't send a stupid email" rule that gives me a five-minute cool down/rethink period before sending that has saved me more than once!

My supervisor, when she saw it, thought that it was a hoot! I didn't bother to tell her that I implimented the rule just for emails/responses to her!

It's the prudent thing to do!
ellethom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last few years, i have come across many instances where AMERICAN employers are checking social network sites to see what you get up to before they even ask you into an interview.

I am all for free speech, and freedom of expression, i am the LAST person to deny anyone that. My whole point is, when dealing with what to post on social networks, and what not to post, its like Karma, you get back what you put out there.

You would not show up to a job interview holding a bong, don't do it where anyone with half a brain and an internet connection can find it.
secretsquirrel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you see, you just have to be anonymous if you really want to get the truth out to the rest of the world - a sort of 'secret correspondent'.

Click on the www button below for a good example!
rainbowprof

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2buckets wrote:
The first rule: Avoid discussions about religion, sex, and politics with students and locals.
Second rule: Keep your mouth shut and put your money in the bank, (or shares or gold).
Third rule: Take it easy, but take it.

with open hands all the way to the bank. Truth.
rainbowprof

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"[quote="johnslat"]Dear sharter,

That's true - but one has to pick one's fights very carefully and one has to use a lot of tact and diplomacy (i.e. manipulation)."

Don't sweat the small stuff. Very Happy

Last edited by rainbowprof on Fri May 04, 2012 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: