Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guatemala

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Global-Hobo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Guatemala Reply with quote

I'm arriving in Mexico next week and not sure whether to stay and look for work or head to Guatemala. Does anyone know the teaching situation there? I'd preferably like to teach in a highschool, international or bilingual, any ideas?

Much appreciated.
fladude

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your quals? The private high schools require you to be a certified teacher in your home country and to be highly qualified in the subject that you teach (or whatever it is called in your country). You might have more luck in Mexico if you are not certified. The ESL market seems much stronger in Mexico as well. In gerneral Mexico is a much bigger market with a lot more schools, so your odds of finding something are higher.

Most international schools in Guat are done with hiring and have been for a month or two, not to say that positions won't open up in August (probably will as some people bail on their contracts). But I know certified teachers who were put on waiting lists so if you aren't certified, I wouldn't hold my breath. As for ESL in Guat, no clue really, but I hear a lot more about schools and jobs in Mexico (which seems to be an easier place to make a go of ESL).
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Guatemala Reply with quote

Global-Hobo wrote:
I'm arriving in Mexico next week and not sure whether to stay and look for work or head to Guatemala. Does anyone know the teaching situation there? I'd preferably like to teach in a highschool, international or bilingual, any ideas?

Much appreciated.

If you are afraid of Mexico I think you will be more afraid of Guatemala, which is far more lawless, especially if you are obviously non-Spanish speaking, I lived in Guatemala for a couple of years, and while it is a beautiful country, it is problematic. To make a decent amount of money you need to have at least a degree in Education, and the better schools require you to be certified or have been certifed to teach in your home country/state. I don`t think jobs are nearly as plentiful in Guatemala as they are in many parts of Mexico.
misteradventure

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latin America is a whole different kettle of fish. Anywhere that there is a sign indicating "No ice cream, no drinks, no firearms" on the door, with goons to enforce those rules in place... requires a paradigm shift.

If you are smart, you will obtain at least survival spanish (PM for details) or look for a friendlier gig.

The 'volunteer' positions in Costa Rica may be more your cup of tea at this point.

Don't even think about Panama, for Dave's flowery sticky is more than just a little false.
dhsampso

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about the job hiring situation in Guatemala, but I know Maximo Nivel has started their TEFL training course in Antigua. I took their course in CR and was very satisfied. Guatemala is more dangerous than Mexico in certain areas. Antigua feels safe due to the huge tourism/ex pat community there. Mexico does seem to have more job opportunities from what I've read in the Mexico threads.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but Guatemala is beautiful in ways you can�t even imagine until you�ve been there. And the cost of living is very low, so you don�t need a lot of money.
dhsampso

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I agree it is very beautiful. I'm going on my third trip this year in the next few weeks. It is very cheap if you're a tourist, so I love visiting and eating out at Antigua's great restaurants. I would love to live in Antigua.
lydia.bainbridge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Guatemala Reply with quote

You might want to check out Quetzeltenango (Xela). I'm heading up there later this week and will pass on anything I find out regarding teaching.
lydia.bainbridge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Guatemala Reply with quote

I have a little information about teaching here in Xela but nothing yet about international schools or whether there are any.

Instituto Guatemalteco Americano (IGA) apparently pays their English teachers Q25 an hour (just under Q8 per dollar). I talked with a man who was doing private tutoring and had worked his way up from Q18 to Q30 an hour. One of the universities pays Q100 an hour, but I gather the schedule is very part time if indeed there are any classes available.

Xela is a very cool city, both weatherwise and otherwise. There are many amenties, but despite lots of Spanish schools, the gringo presence is (as far as I can tell so far) minimal.

Speaking of safety, the US Embassy recently sent out an advisory about violence in Antigua, saying there had been a rash of armed robberies in the evenings. I would not say there are tons of tourists in Antigua any more; I have seen a dramatic decrease since I first came to Guatemala three years ago.
fladude

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Yes, but Guatemala is beautiful in ways you can�t even imagine until you�ve been there. And the cost of living is very low, so you don�t need a lot of money.

I would most assuredly disagree with that. It may be cheap out in the boondocks, but Guatemala City is about the same cost as living in the US. Antigua wasn't so cheap either when I went.

Edited to add: And yes while some things like fruit and vegetables are cheaper here in Guat than the USA, the fact that electronics and imported items cost so much more than in the US, more than offsets this fact. I have yet to find a reasonable price for Coca Cola for example. And TVs and stereos and that sort of thing all cost between 20 - 50 percent higher than the states (depending on how well you can shop for electronics in the states.... oh how I miss Newegg....). Even beer is typically 2-3 dollars a bottle at a restaurant and actually higher by the 12 pack than it is in the USA. I guess if you don't drink (or only drink Rum), don't drink sodas, don't have a cell phone, don't have internet or cable at home, don't buy a tv, etc.... that Guat might be cheaper, but unfortunately, that ain't me.....
orozcom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Teaching In Guatemala(Coban) Reply with quote

Hello to all,
So I have been doing some research on teaching in Guatemala. I'm very interested and I'm currently teaching abroad in South Korea. I really want to teach in Guatemala since my father is from there but also to become fluent in the language. I do understand that I'm not going to make money but that is not what im interested in doing at this point. I have heard of a company called Oxford Language Center In Coban. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on this company good or bad? My contract ends in August and I'm looking to head straight to Central or south America to continue to teach abroad. Any insight that anyone might have on teaching abroad/companies, and or any info it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Monty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: