Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sackings in HCT Abu Dhabi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IIRC, when the MLI debacle was occurring, Phil was just transitioning to the Western Desert position. It may have been a situation of choosing your battles.

Actually, no. That didn't come until a year+ later, but, it certainly may have been in the works at that time.

Don't mistake my sentiments. He is a great and supportive boss. His leadership skills even allowed him to talk me into doing the 35 contact hours/week that that little napoleon in the military program at CERT scheduled me into for a couple of weeks. Working from 08:00 to 20:00 isn't very fun, especially with a young one at home.

But, I did it for Phil.

It's the lil' napoleon from Lake Charles, Louisiana, that caused me to pull up stakes!
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems as if the sackings and humblings continue at the AD Woman's. It seems like the long-reigning Diploma Foundations Chair had finally run afoul of the CLAW and that the always overly-erudite Dean of Rejects was properly put into her position.

No more walking the halls, hands behind your back looking down on teachers anymore, eh, Steve-o?

It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy...I guess the old adage of "be nice on your way up as you never know who you'll meet on your way down" is full on!
robinbanks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do yer mean mr.munns has been moved over to ADWC from khalifah,eh?who's takin'over from him then?Are you in Earnest?or,better still...are you in Hemingways?Maybe there's CLAWS in his contract.
2buckets

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone please post what is going on on one of the blogs.
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blogs seem to be slowing down a bit as, you know, Peckinpah slow-motion death scenes are interesting for only so long until fast-acting scenes start to occur again. One blog just made an entry a few days ago revealing the shocking news that Tubby is polling lower than Hitler, and the other has languished for a month or so.

Hopefully, things will pick up as the semester starts up again and more atrocities are committed by those who deserve to be committed!

It's jes' a matter of time, Tubby! Twisted Evil
BrownSauce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on those blogs! I hear that a renaissance is due - well, sooner or later!
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess, since nothing's been posted here, everything's fine at the ADMC, no?

It's obvious, yes?
Kally Wally

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sources down it the Garden City tell me that upwards of 30 staff are leaving Al Ain, most of them from the women's college..........they also tell me that they are not being replaced.

Seems that HCT is expecting far fewer students next year with the end of the diploma and the focus on BAs only.

Given the choice between studying for a BA at UAEU or HCT I know which one I would opt for......

HCT it appears, is downsizing.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity... 30 out of how many? Total faculty or are they all EFL?

VS
BrownSauce

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding KW's comment above, I've heard the same story - about 30+ staff, both English and content, will get the old heave-ho.

The main reason for the downsizing is that HCT is no longer regarded as it was ... i.e., it's no good anymore since TK took over and started trashing the place. The students have realised this, and are thus voting with their feet.

And there's also those blogs too (click on the www button below)! Who wants to be associated with a place that gets so much ba-a-a-d publicity? Certainly no discerning Emirati (if such a being exists)!
Kally Wally

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mole tells me that most of those leaving (certainly most of those from the teaching/English faculty) are leaving voluntarily.......including him/her.

He/she also tells me that the others, admin staff etc have lost their jobs due to streamlining as HCT is merging the admin/HR etc of the Men and Women's colleges.

Hey we all know that they're going to be short staffed come the fall, even if there's a drop in student numbers.

HCT is a mess right now but I still maintain that if you can weather the storm it ain't such a bad place to work, IF you keep your head down and blend into the background.

I know of quite a few teachers who've been flying under the radar for years and they ain't no brown nosers either.....just go in, do your thing no fuss, attend a couple of the endless and pointless PDs and conferences.

The system is big enough to allow you to become anonymous.
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My mole tells me that most of those leaving...are leaving voluntarily.......including him/her.

Po-tay-to...po-tah-to...

Even rats know when to leave a sinking ship!

Quote:
...IF you keep your head down and blend into the background.

Yes, Massa? "Transparency" much?

Quote:
The system is big enough to allow you to become anonymous.

Unless you view the "forbidden blogs"!

It's impossible to plug the hole that Tubby drilled into the ship!
Kally Wally

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't those blogs blocked anyway?

Look if you think of yourself as an academic are truly interested in linguistics/pedagogy/discourse analysis/curriculum theory etc then what da he'll are ya doing in the Middle East?

We are all just baby sitters, education especially in the UAE, is just another form of social welfare like the police, military, local government.......there ain't many of my students interested in anything other than a 40,000 a month government job were they can sit and drink tea and chat away on
BBM all day habibi.........and as long as I'm getting paid, why worry.
robinbanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to do a quick poll of the thirty leavers and possible leavers in the summer....and those who'll still take the thirty pieces of silver.I'd like to pull a few leavers....sorry,levers myself and consign TK to that dark place from whence he came.
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kally Wally wrote:
We are all just baby sitters, education especially in the UAE, is just another form of social welfare like the police, military, local government.......there ain't many of my students interested in anything other than a 40,000 a month government job were they can sit and drink tea and chat away on

BBM all day habibi.........and as long as I'm getting paid, why worry.

And...therein, lies the problem...those who think like you and their ilk. You're all in, like the lil' Napoleon that is defended. As I said before, who doesn't have a trace of professionalism.

Well, guess what? There are those who need to look themselves in the mirror each morning and want to feel like their contributing rather than being a parasite on a juvenile society.

It's about as blatant and honest as can be (the quote above)...and that's sad...The days of robber-barons are over!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: