Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midwest Education group

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lux

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Midwest Education group Reply with quote

I'm considering on getting a 4 week tesol certificate (with a teaching practicum) with Midwest Education group to teach in Kuwait. I've taught in South Korea for 2 years and I'm interested in teaching in the Middle East.

What does anyone know about this group?
Are they reputable? (I am well aware that the best known TESOL is a CELTA and the benefits of a CELTA - this just came up)
Is their TESOL certificate worth anything or is it a scam?

Thanks!
helenl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with Kuwait but for most of the rest of the GCC don't waste your time or money on a certificate that won't get you anywhere.

As has been posted before, the best jobs are those for related MA's with relevant post grad experience (3+ years usually is the minimum requirement).

In order to work anywhere in the GCC you need the relevant legal documents (residency/work permits etc.) which the bottom feeder employers (which might be interested in a minimal qualified employee) will NOT provide, they probably won't pay in full or on time and with no benefits. The GCC is not a cheap place to live.
Lux

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I figured. I was wondering about Midwest Education Group as a job recruiter though. They seem to be spamming a number of boards and I'm wondering how they are as a recruiter/employer.
helenl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, reputable schools (ADEC in Abu Dhabi being a notable exception) don't use recruiters in the GCC - you apply directly to the school via their website
DirtGuy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were in contact with me several times and wanted the higher ups to talk with me. Then I never heard from anyone there again.

Has anyone ever gotten a job with them?

DirtGuy
gelynch52ph

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:16 am    Post subject: Midwest Education Group Reply with quote

I have learned that they are a recruiting agency for Education Experts (EdEx) and RE: EdEx...run far far away...They don't pay, they do lie and any number of other bad things they can think of they will do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: