Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it rape if...?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Is it rape if...? Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16452014

A Joe Biden pet project...

Quote:
The FBI has updated its definition of rape for the first time in 83 years, to include men and those who do not physically resist as victims.

The new definition will increase the number of people counted as rape victims in FBI statistics, but it will not change federal or state laws.

Lawmakers use those statistics to allocate resources for prevention and victim assistance.

Many US states have already adopted a wider definition of rape.

Previously, the FBI defined the crime of rape as "the carnal knowledge of a female, forcibly and against her will".

The new definition removes the reference to females and says rape is "the penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object" without the consent of the victim.

Also specified is "oral penetration by a sex organ of another person" without consent.

If it's a touchy subject I apologize. This brings to mind the differences abroad where we teach when it comes to such laws and in particular how women are treated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DebMer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By this definition, TSA agents are rapists. (And many women would agree following a pat-down.)
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DebMer wrote:
By this definition, TSA agents are rapists. (And many women would agree following a pat-down.)

I've never had any problems with the TSA agents, but then again I'm not a woman. I do make sure that I am very clean cut before I fly. Appearance is everything. Cool
DebMer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't flown since TSA made copping a feel legal (and will avoid it if humanly possible until they are history). However, my 70 + year old mother travels frequently and won't go through the scanners (radiation) and gets felt up pretty often. It has nothing to do with appearance, IMO.

It upsets me greatly to read about them touching children and the elderly, especially, but I'm against these checks for everybody except those with suspicious behaviors or other warning flags.
Captain_Fil

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning to fly back to the Philippines in March. (The TSA agents will be searching me.)

Should I plan to get raped, too?

Shocked
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is any doctor performing a prostrate check or checking for cervical cancer considered a rapist? What about any officer (prison, border guard, police, et al) doing a cavity check?

Any nurse or caregiver giving the one they are caring for a suppository?

These knee-jerk reactions are the same reactions that give 14 year-olds permanent criminal records and have them registered as sex offenders for photographing their own body.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain_Fil wrote:
I'm planning to fly back to the Philippines in March. (The TSA agents will be searching me.)

Should I plan to get raped, too?

Shocked

You say that jokingly but I have had the lovely experience of having one of the pat downs and let me tell you I don't care why they were doing it, it was a violation of my human rights. There has to be some kind of criteria for deciding who gets patted down, like DebMar, I don't think people over 75 should be subject, or children under a certain age. A determined suspect will get something through if they want to. Ironically, the time I was "patted down" I had a forbidden fingernail clipper in my pocket, and they didn't find it. It wasn't on purpose, I just forgot it was there.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Wall of Whiner wrote:
Is any doctor performing a prostrate check or checking for cervical cancer considered a rapist? What about any officer (prison, border guard, police, et al) doing a cavity check?

Any nurse or caregiver giving the one they are caring for a suppository?

These knee-jerk reactions are the same reactions that give 14 year-olds permanent criminal records and have them registered as sex offenders for photographing their own body.

You can choose to have a medical screening, or not. You can choose to have a suppository or not. Wait till YOU get to have one, or talk to someone first hand who has had one, and I would be willing to met cash money you change your tune.
DebMer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:

You can choose to have a medical screening, or not. You can choose to have a suppository or not. Wait till YOU get to have one, or talk to someone first hand who has had one, and I would be willing to met cash money you change your tune.

This.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the key phrase is " without the consent of the victim? I cannot imagine a medical check being done for prostate cancer etc without consent.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you don't "physically resist" because you've been slipped a drug, then that's not rape?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
So if you don't "physically resist" because you've been slipped a drug, then that's not rape?

Hard to resist if you are restrained, which I considered being given a drug to me. But I would actually put this in the category of torture, since it is so planned out and evil.
Zero

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There has to be some kind of criteria for deciding who gets patted down, like DebMar, I don't think people over 75 should be subject, or children under a certain age.
The moment they stop checking people under or over a certain age is the moment that terrorists will decide that members of that group are the perfect vehicles for bombs. Simple as that. It's not a violation of your human rights. You do not have to fly. Humans got by for quite a while before commercial flights were possible. You can stay home.
isabel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paranoia runs deep. Into your heart it will creep. It starts with a man over there. . .telling you you've got to beware. . .

Lessons lost.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zero wrote:
Quote:
There has to be some kind of criteria for deciding who gets patted down, like DebMar, I don't think people over 75 should be subject, or children under a certain age.
The moment they stop checking people under or over a certain age is the moment that terrorists will decide that members of that group are the perfect vehicles for bombs. Simple as that. It's not a violation of your human rights. You do not have to fly. Humans got by for quite a while before commercial flights were possible. You can stay home.

Right!!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: