Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone had any dealings with Leeds Akademi?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johngoodall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Anyone had any dealings with Leeds Akademi? Reply with quote

Are they any good? I am in Istanbul, with a CELTA cert (pass 'A' no less!), a degree, but only 3 months' experience. They are the only response I've had (so far) offering work in Istanbul, although it is very early days and I plan to go door knocking in the next couple of days.

Any help appreciated!
Thanks
lucia79

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do an advance search or go through previous pages on this forum you'll find some people's experiences with Leeds Academy.

I have a friend who got a k-12 school job through them, but they didn't want to take responsibility for getting a work permit neither did the school.
dannyb87

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was dealing with Hilal and she told me that I would be ok to work in Istanbul on a years tourist visa. When I told her that they don't issue a one year tourist visa she said " do you want the job or not??"

I said no.
mestuart77

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: My experience with Leeds Reply with quote

I had been teaching at a language institute for adults and my contract was coming to an end, so I was putting out feelers for a new job. I have taught children before, so I applied for many different jobs, including Leeds. I was contacted immediately for a phone interview, which lasted about 20 minutes, most of which was spent by Hilal telling me that the location they were trying to hire for was filled with spoiled kids who had no discipline. I'm paraphrasing, but she was very clear about the problems. I thanked her for her honesty, as most of the time the teachers are hoodwinked. I decided to meet with the Director of the schools, and on the car ride to the location, the driver (who worked for Leeds) spent about 30 minutes telling me the children were terrible, likening it to a movie he had seen about a teacher in Harlem (which I suppose was his version of 'nightmare' students...I'm not sure...) At the interview with the Director, about 20 minutes of the 25 minute interview was taken up with 'disciplinary procedures' and how teachers needed to be very firm with the classes in order to maintain control. I knew then that I didn't want the job, but I finished the interview politely and went on my way. A few days later, Hilal called me to say the Director was very impressed and they wanted me to start immediately, so I told her that all 3 of the people I met regarding this position seemed overly concerned with the negative behavior of the students and that gave me pause. I certainly understand children acting like children- you can't expect a classroom of 10-year-olds to be mature, but I felt like something was terribly wrong at the school and I just didn't want to chance it. Maybe I overreacted, I don't know. She said she understood but it was clear she was not happy with my decision to pass on this job, and she never contacted me for any other positions, which is fine because I found something else, anyway. Leeds is not the only game in town.
teacher07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know 2 people who worked with them. they both said that they got paid on time and never had any problems.

However the school they both worked for were quick to resolve any problems the teachers had so they both never had to contact leeds for any assistance. they paid for their own rp even though the contract stated that leeds or the school would pay.

hope that helps
rizlercm

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: going in Sept! Reply with quote

I am going this September to teach in Istanbul with Leeds. Any advice from previous people who did this? This is my first time teaching abroad. Thanks!
ms42908

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also considering a position beginning this September with Leeds, so advice is much appreciated! Rizler I tried to pm you but am new and have to write 5 posts first. Oh well. We should chat if I decide to take the position.

Would love to hear from anyone with previous experience with them too though! I'm interested in hearing about the adequacy of the governmental health insurance offered, if you felt the hours were reasonable (did you have much time to travel/see the city?), if they were successful in securing you a work visa, if the school really provided curriculum, how much prep time was required in addition to class time... Thanks!
cartago

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at Leeds about a couple years ago. My problem was that the behavior of the students was TERRIBLE. It was to the point that I just could not teach them. There was no effective way to discipline them, no detention, no office referrals, nothing. I was given no support from the administration. Judging from what other people have posted on here, this seems like a common problem with all of the schools.

Leeds has contracts with a number of religious schools in Turkey, although the religion because of government regulations is pretty low key. I think the schools may be connected to Fethullah Gulen but not sure.
clifton10

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Anyone had any dealings with Leeds Akademi? Reply with quote

Hello Rizler and ms, I currently work for Ledds at a K-12 school and I can answer some of your questions.

Insurance: I was never told about the government health scheme, and probably because I didn't start with Leeds until well into the school year.

Work permits: I had no problem obtaining mine.

They'll pay you on time and the hours and work days are good, usually Monday to Friday in the K-12 schools.

But I have to agree with Cartago, the kids can be a bloody pain; they at times don't want to learn English and there's no Turkish TA to disipline them. So bring lots of patience with you.

Leeds was good, compared with the language school I worked at before here in IST. But I'll be going back to SE Asia next month, so keep asking people on this post; the more opinions the better. But there is one postitive about working with some of the schools through Leeds:

You will get a free lunch during school days.

Oh, you will have time to explore Istanbul, at least I do.

Hope this helps. Good luck, C10
vashdown2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Anyone over there now working at a Leeds school/ got a job through Leeds?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: