Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hepatitis b & work visa / maximum age

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baby steps

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: hepatitis b & work visa / maximum age Reply with quote

I am considering applying for a position in Saudi and reviewed the medical report info on the Saudi's American Embassy webpage.

1. I noticed they test for hepatitis b - is testing positive for these antibodies grounds for denying someone a work visa?

2. also, i have a friend who is 68 and interested in applying. Is there a general maximum age for employees in the kingdom?

thanks.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say you would get refused if you tested positive for anything on the medical. We had somebody who was refused for Canada, almost certainly because of hepatititis B. Once you are cured you can re-apply. No hard and fast rules howecer.

Government instituitions retire people at 60, so 58 is the normal maximum age for a first contract. Private Instituitons will take people older, though they are likely to be pretty dodgy.
Mark100

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have hep B antibodies then that is no problem as this means you have had the disease in the past and it has been resolved.

Obvioulsy if you are currently infected then you won't be going anywhere.

68 is too old for most govt jobs as 60 is the retiring age however anything is possible if they really need you.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Old Farts Like Me Reply with quote

Most places in the government sector retire you at age 60. This is sometimes interpreted as 60 by the Islamic calendar which is 58 years and a few months by the Gregorian calendar.

Others will let you stay on a year-by-year basis if you still have your faculties (or enough to function at work).

But most employers in the government sector wil not take you on much after the mid-fifties. In the private sector it is a different story but watch out for unpleasant employers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: