Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A fair offer???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dash201

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: A fair offer??? Reply with quote

Please see the offer below and then tell me if it is fair. Thanks.

You will be paid an annual salary of 12,192QR Per month.

The salary will be paid in equal monthly installments

You will be provided with fully furnished one bedroom accommodation including utilities.

You will be provided with a Doha airline ticket at the beginning of contract and Doha airline ticket when the contract ends.
You will be provided with a Doha airline ticket mid contract in the summer vacation.

You will be entitled to all holidays indicated in the current school calendar (Summer holiday will be on pro-rata basis).

A gratuity of three weeks salary is paid for each contractual year � completed.

I am also offered an allowance of 1200QR for baggage allowance but I am only taking my clothes and laptop! No air fare is being offered for my wife either.

So, is this fair? And what does it mean by Summer holiday will be on a pro rata basis? Does this mean I will only be paid during term times???
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is why would you consider a single status contract when you aren't. Decent employers bring your family and pay all the tickets.

I wonder what they do if Doha Airlines doesn't fly into your home area? Do you have to walk the rest of the way? Laughing

I have no idea what they are talking about as to the summer pro-rata thing...

VS
It's Scary!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doha Airlines doesn't exist. Is this place for real? The airline of Qatar is Qatar Airways.

If your prospective employer is flippant enough to call Qatar Airways "Doha Airlines" s/he has a screw loose.

It's a red flag a-flappin'!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that sounded odd, but these new airlines keep popping up all over the Gulf and I can't keep up.

So... this could be a scam.

dash201, if they suddenly want you to send money for anything... don't do it. The usual scam routine is asking for you to send a money order for the "visa."

VS
kellygreen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the Doha airline ticket as an airline ticket to Doha, not as the name of the carrier.

Good employers provide tickets for husband/wife and usually up to 3 children (the latter not applicable for you).

They also provide the same tickets annually during the life of the contract- that doesn't appear to be the case here.

No mention of private medical - which you will want.
dash201

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this isn't a scam. I have chosen not to mention the school and I am pretty sure that they fly from London. I am meeting with them at the end ofthe month and am hoping to negotiate the flight bit.

As for medical insurance, I understand there will be different options but does anyone have a rough figure for this?

And is the salary reasonable? Thanks.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasonable? depends on your credentials.

It is NOT reasonable if your spouse's tickets are not paid (both beginning/end of contract and summer leaves). She should also be covered by the medical coverage. Again, not reasonable if she is not.

VS
dash201

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in light of your comments VS, would you have any suggestions of negotiating without them completely withdrawing an offer?
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear dash201,

Can't speak for VS, but if it were I, I wouldn't "negotiate". I'd simply say, "No tickets for my wife, no medical coverage for her, Ma�a salama (i.e. Good-bye.)

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John took the words right out of my mouth... or from my fingertips... or some such thing.

That said, if you only have a BA, CELTA, and one year of experience, the offer starts to look better.

VS
dash201

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a BA and 8 years experience. Would doing an MA or a doctorate make me a better teacher? I am not so sure. I know how to teach and I know how to learn.

I will let you know what happens at the end of the month though but thank you for all the advice.
millie18

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the GCC, unfortunately, it's not about being a better teacher, it is often about how many letters you have after your name. And the letters get you better pay and benefits not matter the quality of your teaching (at least to start).
sharter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:38 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

I haven't worked in Qatar since 2003. However, I do know that 12k isn't much there. I was making about 18K when I left direct hire at QP. QP gave you everything...tickets, cover, the company gym and sports club, 50k car loan and 50k furniture allowance. The uni jobs in the GCC generally give you family status should you want it.

Contractors generally don't give you family status-why would they? Language schools are notorious. That said, I knew people there who were on single status but did extra evening classes at the BC and the like. It's also not unheard of for wives to get jobs!!

Going out is expensive if you like a beer or 2 or 10. I joined the Sheraton gym, which was pricy. You need a car to get out of Doha.

What Millie said about certs is quite true. In the GCC you can be an absolute weirdo but if you've got an MA, well, that's all that matters. And one piece of advice. Keep your students close but your colleagues closer. A lot of backstabbing in the work place from bored types goes on out here, so be careful who you let into your private life. 'Grassing' is a hobby for some people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: