Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need advice on Georgia...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
real2104

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Need advice on Georgia... Reply with quote

I have a friend of mine in America (she's 23, half way through her BA but is taking a study break) who would love to teach in Georgia but doesn't want to do the volunteer program. So, do you think she qualified for a work visa so that she can find paid employment?

Also, she has a dog that she can't live without... is she able to bring her overseas when she teaches?
BocaNY

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Americans don't need a visa in Georgia. We can live there up to a year and work.
real2104

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? you can just arrive without a visa or anything and find an employer?
BocaNY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. I know a few expats working there and none have work visas.
golsa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on Georgia... Reply with quote

nick2124 wrote:
I have a friend of mine in America (she's 23, half way through her BA but is taking a study break) who would love to teach in Georgia but doesn't want to do the volunteer program.

Why does she want to come here and find an employer instead of doing the volunteer program? The volunteer program's stipend is very, very low by western standards, but it's twice what the local teachers earn. And the volunteer program sets you up such that almost 80% of your income is disposable.

If she can find work here, she doesn't need a visa to stay up to 360 days.

If she worked for a private employer, her pay wouldn't be higher than the volunteer program, she would pay for room and board, and flights to and from Georgia. I just can't imagine why someone would want to come here and live like a local and not even break even doing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: