Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taiwan knows of my mild MH issues, can I still get a job?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chenyishi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Taiwan knows of my mild MH issues, can I still get a job? Reply with quote

I have been searching for an answer to this question for a while but I can't seem to find a definitive yes or no as to whether I can get a job in Taiwan with immigrations already having my MH record. I was diagnosed with very mild ADD and depression a few years ago and was medicated to help me get through college. I went to Taiwan for an internship and study abroad program in 2010, and on the application I disclosed my MH records, being the honest fool I was (and fearing them investigating and finding out). However, I included a doctor's note, and there were no problems with my visa, and I enjoyed 2 of the best months of my life in Taiwan.

I have since been off the medication, and about a year ago I applied for a job teaching in Korea, and made the HUGE mistake of disclosing my MH record to immigrations; I had no idea that Korea is so stigmatized against anyone with any MH issue whatsoever and is so behind the times, so to speak, in terms of psychological understanding. As it stands now, immigrations has systematically prevented me from ever getting a Korean work visa, as they disclose this information to prospective employers who, even after an enthusiastic phone-interview and they decide to hire me, immediately reject me when they receive my visa approval and refuse further correspondence, despite letters from my doctor and calls from my recruiter assuring them of my well-being.

I don't want the same thing to happen to me in Taiwan, but immigrations has on record that I had been treated for these MH conditions in the past from my study abroad visa application. Because I keep hearing how competitive ESL is in Taiwan, I plan to go to China for a few years first anyway to get experience once I find a decent online TESL certification program, but I truly love Taiwan and I am really distraught thinking that I may never be able to teach there because of my disclosure of my MH records.

It really just sucks. I thought I did the right thing by being honest and letting them know about my conditions and that they don't significantly affect me anymore, but all I feel now is regret. I'm hard working, honest, easy to get along with, and usually socially awkward but fun to be around, and I have fun with other people. I'm intelligent, dedicated, enthusiastic, and have very strong attention to detail. I just wish that an employer could see that through some piece of paper that says "History of mild ADD and mild depression, absolutely a psychopathic lunatic."

TL;DR version of my question: Do I have any chance of getting a job in Taiwan with my employer knowing of my mild ADD and mild depression, or is it hopeless?

Also, if anyone knows of any sites where I can email an actual recruiter for Taiwan to discuss this further (I tried Reach-to-Teach, but they don't answer questions unless you apply for a job) I would greatly appreciate it.
dangerousapple

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never disclose anything to immigration...or anyone else... anywhere, at anytime...in any country. Nobody needs to know your medical history, especially as you don't have a communicable disease. Even countries that aren't "behind the times" will use private information the wrong way if you voluntarily give it. Consider it a lesson learned, I guess.

That said, I see no reason why you would be rejected for anything here. You don't need a visa to enter Taiwan anymore (don't know what country you're from). Come here and get hired. As part of the process of getting a work permit you'll need to get a physical. Unless you have a medical condition that could affect the health of someone else, keep your mouth closed, and there shouldn't be any issues. I highly doubt that immigration is keeping tabs on you.
aslans_captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerousapple wrote:
Never disclose anything to immigration...or anyone else... anywhere, at anytime...in any country. Nobody needs to know your medical history, especially as you don't have a communicable disease.

Amen to that.

Asians in particular tend to have less patience than Westerners for imaginary diseases and personal problems masquerading as medical issues.
chenyishi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I definitely learned my lesson. The only problem I have now is salvaging the situation - I'm horrified I've permanently ruined my chances in Taiwan now. What happened with Korea is the source of my worries; once I re-submitted my visa application for another job with "no" checked for MH issues on the health questionnaire, immigrations still forwarded all my info to the employer, who saw that I had previously answered yes - so Korea, at least, IS keeping tabs on me. Similarly, I sent that same info to Taiwan immigrations in 2010 for my visa app, and I'm worried they will do the same as Korea and send all my info to the employer. Even if I get my TESL certificate (which I plan to do regardless starting, well, next paycheck x_x) and arrive in Taiwan jobless, how can I know for sure that my prospective employers won't reject me once they receive my info from immigrations? Will they be more understanding when they meet me in person? Thanks again for the responses!
dangerousapple

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a school owner. What you're worried about doesn't happen. I have never received old health information about my employees, and I bet if I asked for it, I'd be told that its none of my business.

Government departments rarely communicate with each other. It was the education bureau that got your physical last time. This time it will be the labor bureau that gets your physical. Therefore nobody knows anything about anything.

You should be much more concerned about finding a job, as that's going to be a much larger issue for you.
chenyishi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dangerousapple wrote:
I'm a school owner. What you're worried about doesn't happen. I have never received old health information about my employees, and I bet if I asked for it, I'd be told that its none of my business.

Government departments rarely communicate with each other. It was the education bureau that got your physical last time. This time it will be the labor bureau that gets your physical. Therefore nobody knows anything about anything.

You should be much more concerned about finding a job, as that's going to be a much larger issue for you.

Thanks so much for putting my fears to rest! I figured I would just apply for jobs in Taiwan anyway, and of course not disclose anything. I start my 120-hour, online TESL certification course tomorrow, and, from what I've heard, it will probably take me at least 6 months or so to complete, so I might not make it in time to apply for any jobs in the summer. I've heard that Taiwan is extremely competitive, so I'm going to try as hard as I can and hope for the best. Thanks again for the help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: