Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

please help me make a choice!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: please help me make a choice! Reply with quote

After weeks of researching where in the world I should go to teach I'm left with a toss-up between Costa Rica and Ecuador. I am a (very young!) 42 year old woman, BA (Sociology/Psychology), TESL certificate but very little teaching experience (20 hour teaching practicum and just beginning to volunteer as a language tutor). I don't need to save any money but I definitely would like to make enough to live fairly comfortably on. I am getting alot of mixed messages about the availability of work and the cost of living in these two countries. As well, are there any sites that list schools in each country? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Costa Rica and Ecuador Reply with quote

For information on Costa Rica,check out the Job Journal Forum on Dave's Cafe,under Costa Rica.There is a website listed on one of the posts there which might be helpful to you.

It is good you apparently do not expect to make much money in either Costa Rica or Ecuador...because you probably won't.As to being able to live comfortably...it depends on what you consider comfort.Costa Rica is probably more expensive overall.

I am curious as to why you limited your choices to these two countries.It is a big world out there...look around a little more...you might just find some place more acceptable...and one which pays more.Good luck Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:53 am    Post subject: Costa Rica Reply with quote

Hi Shelley,

I wandered about San Jose, Costa Rica for a couple of months one winter, checking out whether to use it as a retirement option. Literally every school I entered tried to hire me on the spot. Apparently they get very few people who walk in with an MA and years of experience. I wasn't looking for work, but I learned that even though I live a very simple life style, the money was so low that I doubted that it would even cover basic living expenses (and that was assuming that I would purchase a house and not have rent expense). Nice place and nice people though...

I have a friend who went down there with the idea of supporting herself and starting a small language school on her own. After two years she gave up, as she was unable to support herself - no less get a school started.

I have never been to Ecuador, but I know that the country has had extreme financial problems the last few years. That is usually bad news for English teachers as lessons are a luxury item.
shelley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had decided to go to either Costa Rica or Ecuador because I had been to Costa Rica before and loved it and basically, I have to decide on somewhere and get focused! I am finding so many mixed reviews on everywhere that it is a little overwhelming. I know I don't want to go to one of the big three: Japan, Taiwan or Korea. As well, I am not interested in the Middle East. I had been toying with the idea of Eastern Europe and had considered Southeast Asia. Where can I go and make a half decent living??? Cheers! Shelley
Celeste

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a friend who worked in Costa Rica for seven years. She did quite well salary wise, but the hours were long. She was working at a highschool teaching English for International Baccalaureate (spelling?) classes.

I too wanted to go to Costa Rica. What I found when I was looking for jobs there was that there were a lot of opportunities for "volunteer" work, but very few jobs. My friend counselled me that my best chance would be to apply for one of the private high schools. I can't remember when they do their hiring, but for some reason I seem to remember sending out some letters in February.

I remember there was one school called "The European School". Do a web search for them, and see what you come up with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: