Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does this sound about right to you?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:37 am    Post subject: Does this sound about right to you? Reply with quote

Haven't been to Colombia, so I don't know for sure. I stumbled onto this while looking for information on something else.

Taken off a recruiter's website Re: International Schools in Colombia:

Private International School Teaching Jobs in Colombia

Teaching at private international schools in Colombia offers many benefits. Teachers can expect to earn a salary that allows them to live comfortably no matter where they are placed. While salaries may seem low compared to a teacher�s home country, the cost of living in Colombia is also much lower. Most teaching jobs in Colombia for licensed teachers provide a salary of approximately $1,000 USD per month tax-free, though this amount will vary depending on qualifications and experience.

Teaching benefits in Colombia may include accommodations or an accommodations allowance, return airfare, medical insurance, paid vacation time, and contract completion bonuses. Typically, contracts for teaching jobs in Colombia are 2 years in length. Private international schools in Colombia require that candidates have at least 2 years of relevant teaching experience.

http://www.teachaway.com/teach-abroad/teach-in-colombia/

If this is true, then from what I've read on this board before it looks like that you would be paid more for EFL jobs with a BA and a CELTA.
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea thats not true.

3-4 mil is common.
MNguy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaTHeels wrote:
yea thats not true.

3-4 mil is common.

Links?
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNguy wrote:
CarolinaTHeels wrote:
yea thats not true.

3-4 mil is common.

Links?

No links. This is from friends that have worked and know ppl that have worked in top International Schools. They have no reason to lie.

Remb. OP asked about LICENSED teachers, not ESL teachers working at Institutes ect.

Big difference.
MNguy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, OP asked about salaries between licensed teachers and people holding CELTA, which, from reading this board, I could see how she would be confused. We need more details, whether housing is provided, airfare etc.
Plus, she provided a link to a seeming legit job offer --and depending on the circumstances, $1000 month isn't bad money at all.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

International House's salary puts them slightly above average for Colombian language institutes. The only slight distortion is that this is tax free. While it's true you won't have to file an income tax return or pay federal income tax on that salary, IH does deduct 8% of your income for the national health insurance plan, and an additional 8% for what i think are municipal taxes.

THeels is comparing apples to oranges. Yes, you can make 3-4million at bilingual or international schools, but this is a different type of job.
littlelauren86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, and I don't have any more details. I just stumbled upon the website looking up the NET program in Hong Kong.

I see it as an option (the Colombia thing) for getting two years of experience, but leaving after for better jobs.
G22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At an institute 1,000 us a month or less is pretty typical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: