Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in universities or elsewhere?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MBee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Teaching in universities or elsewhere? Reply with quote

I am interested in teaching in L.A. and am wondering what kind of jobs are out there for a person w/my background.

I was a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant in Indonesia for one year, I have an MA in Geography, and 3 years college teaching experience (Geography courses). I also have experience as a professional grant and marketing/technical writer. I don't have a TEFL/CELTA/DELTA or other EFL certificate.

I'd really appreciate some insight on whether I could find a good job in L.A. teaching English with my background. I'm open to going anywhere, my priority is finding a legal job with a decent salary. I understand salaries aren't amazing in this part of the world for EFLers, but I'd like something good enough to pay my bills, eat, and place a bit in savings each month. Is that possible?

I really appreciate you taking the time, thank you. Hope everyone's enjoying themselves, wherever in the world you are. Very Happy
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a uni in Peru that will pay you 700 bucks a month and get you a special visa to live there. INterested?

Other than that, you could work at unis in Peru, not in the capital though. Or in institutes, illegally. Bilingual schools, legally.
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can look into Mexico--though Mexican immigrantion will want to see some certificate or degree saying you've had training in English teaching.

See the Mexico forum for information on university salaries.
MBee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for both of these replies. I would have no problem getting a CELTA and considering Mexico. Any ideas about the salary ranges at unis there?

Also, thanks for all the info, naturegirl. 700 bucks a month for a FT job? Is that enough to live in Peru?
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can get a full time position it would be in the 20,000 Mexican Peso a month range. Unfortunately many unis pay the majority of their teachers by the hour, expect 150-300 as a by hour rate.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MBee wrote:
Also, thanks for all the info, naturegirl. 700 bucks a month for a FT job? Is that enough to live in Peru?

FT, yep. Might be a bit more. It's enough to live if you budget. YOu're not going to save heaps. That's why I left Peru. I make more here in a month than I did in 3 in Peru.
MBee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. This is great info.

If they do pay by the hour, do they pay according to the number of hours you spend lecturing in class?
MBee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Peru info naturgirl. Seems doable but not as comfy as Korea, although few TELF jobs are! (I think Korea is where you are now).
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, an hourly rate would just be hours in class.
Full time teachers are usually expected to be on campus for 8 hours (teaching 3 to 5 hours a day, holding office hours and doing course prep on campus) so the total pay can work out to be similar either way, just that by hours comes with zero benefits.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching in universities or elsewhere? Reply with quote

MBee wrote:
I am interested in teaching in L.A.

The one I interviwed for in Mexico City didn't pay very much. It would have been difficult to pay the bills so I passed. Most universities in LA won't pay much amigo. That's just the reality.
EFLeducator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
If you can get a full time position it would be in the 20,000 Mexican Peso a month range.

If is a big little word amiga. Those full time positions in Mexico City are locked up. No one is letting go of those positions and there just aren't enough to go around.

MotherF wrote:
Unfortunately many unis pay the majority of their teachers by the hour, expect 150-300 as a by hour rate.

And the hours fluctuate a LOT.
MBee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic information from everyone, I can't thank you enough.
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFLeducator wrote:

If is a big little word amiga. Those full time positions in Mexico City are locked up. No one is letting go of those positions and there just aren't enough to go around.

I never said anything about Mexico City. Mexico is a large country, and as far as I'm concerned, Mexico City is a place to go to catch an airplane.

In the state of Oaxaca, there are 60 some full time university English teaching positions reserved for native English speaking teachers whose average stay is two years, so there are positions opening up each semester.

Last edited by MotherF on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
MBee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the best way to check out any full time university job openings outside Mexico City? Thanks again...
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MBee wrote:
What's the best way to check out any full time university job openings outside Mexico City? Thanks again...

I just googled
Quote:
"full time" english teacher mexico university
and got a variety of different job boards, a good way to go instead of searching each board individually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: