Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BKC ---- All Bad?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waxwing

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Communist Smurf wrote:
I'm certain the high figure for a deposit is correct. Although I've "arrived" in Moscow only once (got an apartment), I believe almost all flat agents want 100% of a month's rent. Now he's a *really* crazy part about it. On top of paying 100% of the first month's rent to the flat agent, my landlady apparently had to pay 100% of a month's rent to them also. I used Miel. Evil or Very Mad
CS

Down here the deal seems to be : you pay 3 months rent straight away (usually, or sometimes 2), + 0.5 months finder's fee to the agency (i.e. fee, not deposit).
Or you can avoid the latter by using personal ads.
By the way, a lot of the ads have 'for a Russian family' in them. We all know what that means...
Nexus

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waxwing wrote:

By the way, a lot of the ads have 'for a Russian family' in them. We all know what that means...

At the risk of sounding obtuse...sorry I don't know what that means, beyond the literal meaning away. Please enlighten me and be direct - I won't be shocked Smile
waxwing

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means 'no Caucasians', basically. It's very similar to the situation in London, maybe 30-40 years ago, when they used to write 'no Blacks or Irish'.

Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed it was obvious - it wasn't.

Actually I will be viewing several places later this week and possibly renting somewhere new. If anyone's interested, I'll report back on how it went Very Happy
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifying. I thought it meant "No Canadians or French." That's what it means where I'm from.

CS
zaneth

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After all those years of marking "caucasian" on official forms.

Waxwing, I forget if you're from America or not. When I was a kid "caucasian" was the official word for "white". I remember hearing somewhere about real Caucasians, who weren't exactly white, but never expected to actually come into conflict with it in real life. Is this just an American use?

Also never expected to see an election where the popular vote didn't carry it.......

I thought what you wrote meant "no foreigners."

Yes, please let us know how it goes. I'm curious about things in other parts.
waxwing

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read several discussions about this on a russian language site. The use of 'Caucasian' as a name for white people came about as a result of some half-baked anthropological research or other - by Americans I think, so it was probably first used in America and then spread to UK and maybe Europe. I don't really know the details. Apparently it has been discredited in some way.

It's really ironic, because in Russia, as I'm sure you're aware, people from the Caucasus (not caucuses,don't forget the difference! Smile ) are commonly labelled 'chyorni' because of their darker skin.

Funny old world, eh?

There's a huge and highly complex racial mixture down here. In Stavropol, the ethnic Russians still dominate but you only have to head another 150km or so further south to Pyatigorsk etc. , the spa towns, and you'll see a big difference. Ossetians, Cherkessians, Chechens, Dagestanis, etc. etc. I forgot all the names. Not to mention the Georgians, Azeris, Armenians whose origins are further south. And they all have their own languages, although you hear them on the street only rarely.
There is racial tension of course, as well as religious tensions due to the coexistence of Islam and Christianity. But it's nowhere near as dangerous around here as people make out.
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people that originally came out of Caucasia were white people. Whether or not the people currently in Caucasia are related to these same people I don't know.

Keep this in mind. Iran used to be called Persia. They were the original Aryan (Iran=Aryan) Nation. The people in Iran today aren't white. Their name change has something to do with the Nazis, but I can't explain how... well, because I don't remember where I heard it. Embarassed

Who's responsible? The Mongels.

Why we use the word "Caucasian" to refer to a white person? Well... using a color word to describe someone (black, red, white, yellow) can be politically incorrect. In the states, we don't refer to a person that's black as black, we say African-American. What do you call a white person? American? British? Irish? Why we picked Caucasian, I think, is because when the original Caucasians came to Europe they had a population explosion and grew rapidly. In a sense, they did the same the Mongels did, only made people more white. The idea is that the original Caucasians "whitened" the population of Europe and so everyone that is white is somehow related to them. Does sound rather half-baked, doesn't it? I always hated Anthropology classes.

Disclaimer: Some of this information I'm not 100% certain of. If I'm wrong, just PM me and I'll give you a full refund. Wink

CS
zorro

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting read guys.

just wondering how much the wage is for BKC or even a typical wage for a typical language school in a typical part of russia???

cheers,

zorro.
Phillip Donnelly

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salary for a first contract BKC-IH teacher varies from 550 to 675 dollars per month depending on qualifications and experience. If you sign another contract, there is a 75 dollar per month increase.
It should also be noted that BKC provide free shared accomodation and a 50 dollar per month bonus upon completion of contract. They also pay 500 dollars flight allowance for Europeans and 650 for others (half after three months and the remainder upon completion of contract). They also reimburse teachers for visa expenses upon competion of contract.
So, all in all, it won't put you in the Bill Gates league, but it will afford a reasonably comfortable lifestyle.
waxwing

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

500-1000 per month, sometimes with, sometimes without accommodation.
Phillip Donnelly

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

550 to 675 with accomodation and 770 to 895 without accomodation in BKC-IH
cheekygal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read this forum from time to time Smile It's interesting that there are so many posts on BKC. I worked for BKC St.Petersburg for 2 years (no, I wasn't a teacher there). Had my share of really harsh and good times Smile
But but but...
Miss you, BKC Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: