Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best country to teach in?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Best country to teach in? Reply with quote

So trying to find a job beforehand hasn't worked out. So now I'm trying to figure out which country to fly to in August and look for a job.
What do you think are the best countries in Latin America to work in? For money, job stability, safety, not too many political problems, etc.
Any advice on where to go?
supertraveller

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: jobs Reply with quote

I have heard that Chile is really good but I am headed to Uruguay, because there are less people and its supposed to be really nice.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Best place to teach Reply with quote

Chile's stable politically and economically, if not seismically.
moonraven

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you mentioned money first on your list, I will assume it's your highest priority. In general, Mexico pays better than other Latin American countries.
MELEE

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as I think there is no "best" Spanish, there is also no "best" country to work in. They are all so different.

Yes, pay in Mexico is higher, but so is the cost of living. Money is an issue if you want to sent it out of whichever country. If you're fine with spending it all in country--you could be making half as much in US dollar terms in Bolivia, but be living just as well.

I've lived in Chile, Ecuador, and Mexico, and visited, Argentina, Peru, Costa Rica and Guetemala, people often ask me which I prefer. If they are from one of those countries I say their homecountry. If not I tell the truth, they are all so different and all have wonderfull aspects, I could never qualify one as best. I've found a place for myself in Mexico, but I don't think it is better here.

Rather than, job stablity, safety, and politics, I suggest you make a list of things you like doing and see what place matches up with that. For example, I live 9 hours from the sea--that's okay for me, but I know it would be hell for others.

Going by your name--naturegirl I'd suggest Ecuador--just about every climate in a small area and they change with the elevation rather than with the seasons.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MELEE wrote:

I've lived in Chile, Ecuador, and Mexico,
Going by your name--naturegirl I'd suggest Ecuador--just about every climate in a small area and they change with the elevation rather than with the seasons.

Wow, lots of countries, did you teach in them all?
I've got a job offer from a plac ein Peru, near the north at a university. I think I might take it. BUt my father is worried about guerillas and my mother has visions of them not allowing me to leave Peru.
Shocked
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Anxious parents Reply with quote

There's more chance of being mugged in Lima or Cuzco than running into Shining Path guerillas.
Getting out shouldn't be a problem, provided you pay the departure tax (if any) at the airport. Make sure there are no coca plants in your luggage!
MELEE

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:

Wow, lots of countries, did you teach in them all?

Nope, I was an exchange student in Chile and I sort of half taught half studied in Ecuador.

Try to find someone who's been to Peru for your parents to talk to. As a service to the Study Abroad Office at the university where I study, I make my name and contact info available for parents of students planning on coming to Mexico. They can call or email me and ask me questions to help put their minds at ease before putting their babies on the plane. They usually thank me profusely at the end of the contact.
Jdub

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: jobs Reply with quote

supertraveller wrote:
I have heard that Chile is really good but I am headed to Uruguay, because there are less people and its supposed to be really nice.

I haven't taught abroad yet because I just finished a TESOL course but I did study in Chile twice. I'd like to go back soon to teach. You said that you're headed to Uruguay. Where did you go to find positions in Uruguay? I've always been intrigued by that country and wanted to visit when I was in Chile but didn't get to. Do you plan to find a job when you get there or do you have one lined up?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
matttheboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: chile? No chance...... Reply with quote

Personally i would avoid Chile like the plague, especially Santiago. It is the most soul-less and unpleasant city i have ever visited, infested with rude, arrogant, obnoxious, agressive and extremely racist Chilenos (`why do you want to visit peru and bolivia-they`re full of monkeys. And they`re dirty. And all Argentinians are dishonest thieves. Ser chileno hay muchas ventajes`). I should add that my very lovely Chilena girlfriend lives in Santiago and these are all comments that i heard from her well travelled and educated family, friends and associates-and more than once (and they also all make the `slitty`eye thing with their hands to their eyes whenever they talk about anything to do with Asia). Fortunately my girlfriend is a little more enlightened, but she is not the norm.

Another Chilean custom is `abajo! abajo! botalo! botalo!`which basically means that if there`s an historic building or anything antiguo you should immediately tear it down and build a high rise blocks of flats or offices, making for a very ugly city. And i haven`t yet mentioned the all enveloping smog due to the fact that the city`s only redeeming feature, the Andes that surround it, makes it impossible for the fumes and smoke to filter away.

I have spent a fair amount of time in Santiago and can promise you that you`ll be better off pretty much anywhere in Argentina (i`m in mendoza next to the Chilean border) or you could try Ecuador where i worked for a few months (in Quito). It`s a small country with a mix of everything South America has to offer (beaches, jungle, mountains, Andean culture, corruption and gun point muggings). And there are a lot of jobs.

Wherever you end up make an effort to learn Spanish and speak to locals, you`ll enjoy yourself a hell of a lot more.

Have fun, Matt
Karl Borja

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Buenos Aires, how�s teaching like there? Is it pretty much like Madrid, where you work between 8:30 - 10:00, 14:00 - 16:00, then 18:00 -20:00? Need some advice, my friend is thinking of going there for her TEFL certificate and hopefully teaching straight off. As for me, I�d like to try Argentina as well. Any advice?

Karl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: