Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Immigration card at airport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil_K

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: New Immigration card at airport Reply with quote

Just for my peace of mind, and to make sure everything is done that should be done:

I'm travelling to Europe next Thursday, using the new card for the first time. Can someone who has already done it describe the procedure at the immigration point at D.F. airport.

I assume they scan the barcode to have your departure and entry records, but I'd appreciate a detailed account.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all the cards have barcodes...I don't know how they figure that out.

Last time I flew out was Xmas 2010. You go to the same desk you always go to after check-in, fill out a short exit form (I don't think it has changed) and present your card. You keep the form for re-entry. Nothing new really.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Phil_K

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the fast reply, Guy!

In any case, you have to fill in a form before passing through the gate. The immigration desk is inside the gate, so is that the same form or an additional one?
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just the one form at the same place as far as I last did it. You're right though, the airline gave me the form and I filled it in before going through the last security gate. When I went, the line at the migra desk was looooooong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MotherF

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In July I left with the card--my flight was so early in the morning, immigration wasn't there! I waited and finally a guy came he just gave me the same slip of paper they have always used stamped and signed, and turned it in when I came back. There was a computer sitting there but he didn't turn it on (at least not until after I was rushing off to my gate.)
bridgetc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing for me as with MotherF, nothing different and no hassle.

On a vaguely-related point, I came back after spending the summer at home (the UK) and had lost my FM3. Came back via JFK-Phoenix and they gave me HELL. Mexican immigration suddenly became a huge worry for me after being grilled by border patrol but what actually happened was the guy at immigration "knew" me "Hey, you're that British teacher from Guaymas!" and they just let me go through... "Just let immigration in Guaymas know you lost it when you get there... have a safe trip!" etc etc. Ok I know seemingly relaxed (re)admission to countries shouldn't be blindly lauded but it's one of the things I love about this place, they don't make you feel like you're a sneaky, suspicious ne'er-do-well trying to break all the rules and rip everybody off. Also, for being such a big country I feel like these "HEY I KNOW YOU" moments happen almost disconcertingly often!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: