Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Qualifications=What Kind of Job
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBrown

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: My Qualifications=What Kind of Job Reply with quote

Hello! I know that you are all probably tired of seeing threads like these, but I promise that after you answer mine, I will never post one (on the Colombia section) again! Laughing So here are my qualifications:

BA in English Literature
MA in English (Holistic)
Elementary Spanish (I can insult your mom, and ask your girl out on a date Razz j/k, I can also ask for the restroom and other basics like ordering food)
I tutored College age ESL students for two years at my university as a GTA.

Okay, so I am planning on taking the CELTA in Bogota and maybe spending a week or two afterwards hitting the ground and looking for possible employment. Now for the questions:

1) With my situation is the CELTA worth it?

2) Where should I be looking for work?

3) What kind of pay should I expect?

4) Maybe for those who are working there: a) Do you enjoy it? b) What are the some positives and negatives about living/working in Colombia?

I know these questions are pretty general, but I am just looking for a general idea Smile Answers will probably vary on location, so just let me know where you are with your answers.

Thanks ahead of time, and I will probably have more questions once someone (hopefully) answers these!
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long are you planning on staying in Colombia / teaching ESL?

If it is for only one year than a CELTA wouldnt prob not be worth it imo. Planning on living there for awhile than it is certainly a nice addition to the resume and will teach you valuable info.

You look for work EVERYWHERE. (language institutes, colegios, universities)

Pay varies by location but Bogota pays the most. Pay also varies by where you work. Expect to make anywhere from 600 - 1200 dollars. With 800-1000 being the average.

Do you like latin culture? Do you like latin music? Do you like latin food? Do you like latin women? All these things shape how much you will like Colombia.
JBrown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually plan on teaching ESL for awhile, not just one year. And Yes! I love Latin culture, food, music, and of course the women. I know that the saving possibilities are probably quite low, but how much could someone "put away" or in my case pay to Sallie Mae a month after living expenses. I am not much of a drinker, and my hobbies include cheap activities, such as reading, walking, and playing basketball. I know this will vary from place to place, but I am looking for a general estimate of disposable income after living expenses. Thanks for your help!
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont expect to be saving any money from teaching ESL in Latin American.

You will have enough to live, eat, and go out a few times during the week.

Thats it.

Unless you manage to have a steady stream of private lessons to supplement your income.
JBrown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I figured. Asia and ME are looking more and more likely. Thanks for you help
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After experiencing Colombia. Asia / Korea was deathly depressing! lol
JBrown

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaTHeels wrote:
After experiencing Colombia. Asia / Korea was deathly depressing! lol
Oh, I bet Smile I would love Colombia. I have a friend from there that I am absolutely in love with (she knows, its okay). I just need to get Sallie freakin Mae off my back. My dream would be living in Colombia, Brazil, etc. Maybe someday! Or maybe I go there and tell SM to find me Twisted Evil
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Colombia and marry a local and and tell SM to kiss it.

lol
JBrown

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have an out. Some oil companies are drooling over my parents' and grandma's land at the moment. This is just to rent the rights, but if they actually drilled, then I may be able to talk them into paying those nazis off for me. Hopefully! But, I will probably "save" myself until I get over to Latin America. It would be amazing! Are you there now?
JBrown

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaTHeels wrote:

lol
You know what, I think you are right. My plans may change, but right now I am thinking I will go take the CELTA there ASAP, and stay around for a few weeks to find a job. SM can really go F themselves for all I care. They shouldn't have had the public school systems pushing college, and their loans, onto me from kindergarten on. I suppose I will try to pay them, but living in Colombia is better than being starved of culture and fun in some crazy country. That being said, when is the best time to look for a job?
CarolinaTHeels

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

language institutes hire year round.

public schools have two calenders I believe. june is a good time to start applying.
MNguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBrown wrote:
CarolinaTHeels wrote:

lol
You know what, I think you are right. My plans may change, but right now I am thinking I will go take the CELTA there ASAP, and stay around for a few weeks to find a job. SM can really go F themselves for all I care. They shouldn't have had the public school systems pushing college, and their loans, onto me from kindergarten on. I suppose I will try to pay them, but living in Colombia is better than being starved of culture and fun in some crazy country. That being said, when is the best time to look for a job?

The language institutes will hire year-round, but many are sketchy about providing work visas as they are a pain in the ass to get and kind of expensive. Colegios and Unis will hire all the time too, based on their needs, but September or February are probably your best bets. I personally loved my time in Colombia, but finding money down there is difficult, and even if you land something exceptional by Colombian standards, I wouldn't plan on paying down your student debt significantly.
Dragonlady

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarolinaTHeels wrote:

You're kidding, right?

JBrown wrote:
...SM can really go F themselves for all I care. They shouldn't have had the public school systems pushing college, and their loans, onto me from kindergarten on. I suppose I will try to pay them, but living in Colombia is better than being starved of culture and fun in some crazy country. That being said, when is the best time to look for a job?

You (sort of) sounded like a descent person, right up until this post. My vote is that you grow up, and assume some responsibility - like paying back the financial provider of your education.
No, the world does not owe you anything, nor does it have to wait around while you have fun before you make a worthwhile contribution Evil or Very Mad

DL
spanglish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colombia can be pretty fun and a good experience, but you may very well feel 'starved for culture and fun' in Colombia, which many who live here do regard as a quite a 'crazy' country.
simonenglish

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was teaching in Japan for six years... Off to Colombia around April. I would recommend going to Korea/Japan or somewhere like Saudi Arabia to get some money behind you. Experience and money. There are not all that many places where you can make a decent living and save...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: