Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats in a name..........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mesenjah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Whats in a name.......... Reply with quote

Good morning world.....

Your views if you please.....

Do y'all think its harder to get employed with an ethnic sounding name?

Answers on a post card to the usual address
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More depends on your passport... and photo. If you speaking of a "Jewish sounding" name, I doubt that they'd catch it. And, of course, one would put "Christian" on all your required forms.

VS
mesenjah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the issue, its not just the name.... If you're like me who is of mixed parentage (really mixed) lol problems can arise. Wsh 3slak? is the question, no matter how 'English' one might be. I'd like to know how many have had the same issue...... Recently I've had it all, with over 7 years of Middle East experience plus over 7 more teaching in the U. K. recruiters and HR representatives have the cheek to say I don't have the relevant experience. Also I have a TEfL qualification from a university in the U. K. some even have the cheek to say that the 'qualification' is not accredited. When put on the spot with a return e-mail most do not answer my queries....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be applying for one of the many jobs that requires all the appropriate academic bits of paper. The Gulf can and does require MAs and/or only particular certs that are on their approved list.

Is it possible that one of your ex-ME employers is or has put a little black mark by your name?

Just speculating here...

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if you're getting these comments despite matching the teaching experience and academic qualifications these employers are looking for, then the problem might be in the way you present yourself on paper. Have you considered getting your cover letters and CV critiqued by knowledgeable friends in the TESOL industry or by someone who's involved in some sort of hiring capacity in the field?
mesenjah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup all has been checked by friends who I know in recruitment and they say there's nothing wrong with my profile....... The only issue it seems is my ethnicity.....
toto321

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: ya Reply with quote

I have Arab blood. Some interviewers actually tried offering me "Egyptian" rates.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is that I know of a number of teachers who happened to have Jewish names, but seemed to have no problem getting hired in the Gulf. I know personally of one there right now - and I'm sure that there are more.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: