Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MA in Spanish marketable in Latin America?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techselector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: MA in Spanish marketable in Latin America? Reply with quote

hello everyone,

i'll keep this brief. my BA is in Spanish and i'm planning to pursue my MA in Spanish Language/Culture. i've considered getting certified in ESL as well and teaching abroad. i'm curious if an MA in this area would open any other job opportunities in Latin America for a foreign teacher. obviously me being able to speak Spanish would create a lot of opportunity that would be closed otherwise, but what about my degree/area of expertise? would i be able to teach something other than ESL at a university perhaps?

i'd love to teach in Latin America, but since I'm a soon-to-be college graduate and have no financial resources to speak of, it could be very difficult do to so until i have sufficient funds saved up or am able to command higher wages. (i realize teaching in Asia to save up money is a possibility)

any thoughts you have on this topic would be greatly helpful. thanks
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be more useful if it could be an MAT (Master's in Teaching) with Spanish and ESL certification.

Or you might want to look into a program that would allow you to take some translation studies classes as part of your MA in Spanish.
I work at a university in Mexico (teaching only English) but doing a fair amount of translation for the Mexican professors in other departments. There is one department in the university where I work that has such a need for translation and intrepretation and also training to give conference presentations in English that they employ a special person to do just that.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can speak for Peru. I worked for two unis and the most I got per month with an MA was $800
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: