Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KFU - Shabaka
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExpatinTown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Response to Grendal's post Reply with quote

Grendal, I no longer work there. I also won't resort to violence. However, I posted the comment on behalf of others who were needing answers. Sadly, I am starting to feel it is not just the manager but also the owner since who is it that signs the contracts. In regards to good business, it is not wise to wait several months to sign contracts for teachers you want to return and to then leave some in limbo after you signed a majority of them. I hope the best for the teachers in limbo. There are only like 4 weeks left in the quarter and that is not enough time to prepare for and get a job elsewhere. If the company took into consideration the effect they have on people's livelihood, they would have a better reputation. The money may be good but at some point, everyone faces the question "Is it all worth it?"
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grendal wrote:
WTF just smack this a-hole. What are you waiting for?

Grendal

I don't know. Aren't the punishments handed out by KSA a bit medieval?
hocus pocus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: something just occured to me . . . Reply with quote

When I was interviewed, the top "hockey guy" asked if I enjoyed working with teenagers . . . I now realize that he wasn't talking about the students - he was talking about management! Silly me.

If you're being interviewed, he won't ask any questions about teaching - that would require expertise and concern about the profession. All he cares about is if you can "remain positive" during your tenure. In Shabakese, that means, "can you put up with incompetency from admin.?"
Jinn.n.juice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: WHAT? Reply with quote

Really???
You came to Saudi Arabia to teach because you HAVE professionalism or integrity. I'm beginning to think Shabaka teachers are more deluded than the average ESL teacher. Go teach in the West. If you can. There are plenty of students who could use a dedicated ESL teacher, such as yourself.

Why continue to be miserable. Say your peace up front, and leave with your head high.
Grendal

Location: Lurking in the depths of the Faisaliah Tower underground parking.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He (the coach) won't ask you the difference between 'shall' and 'will.' But if he will hire you then you shall respect his authority.

Grendal
hocus pocus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Flights home Reply with quote

A friend on the ground has reported more ineptitude and dishonesty back in Hofuf.

Teachers were told the exit date weeks ago and were instructed to book their tickets home. Since then, the exit date has changed twice.

The result . . . teachers that booked tickets in advance must stay an extra 3 days - with NO pay. Or, they can change their flights and incur the costs for doing so.

On the other hand, management and its lackeys waited until the end to book their flights - they knowingly didn't inform teachers that the final exit date was subject to change - and that it would probably change because they never got the Dean's approval on the date.
edd_moseley

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: change of weekend = change of dates Reply with quote

The final exit date did change, because of the change of weekend. You know, from Thursday-Friday to Friday-Saturday. I think everyone can agree that we were all surprised at the speed at which this happened. So if your looking for someone to blame, I would start with the king!
The Good Abaya Girl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Still laughing at "blaming the King" Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the King has better things to do than change a PYD English test date three times. If Admin had sat down with their client (KFU) and discussed everything, it could have been resolved.

Instead, they put together a plan, announced it, then rescinded it when the Dean said no. They then put together another plan, which has since changed.

It's kind of like the emails that come out saying: Buses will leave at 8:30 on Thursday. . . . . Fast forward 20 minutes . . . Buses will leave at 8:00 on Thursday. Guess they shouldn't leave important communications to the discretion of the copy boy.

However, the winds of change are blowing. Spoke to a Saudi friend last week who has been contacted by KFU to hire 20 native ESL teachers for this year, and 30 more for next year. Lucrative contract for him because it's for housing and transportation, too.

Perhaps the hokey brothers will soon be playing golf.
AbeCross

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: "Perhaps the hokey brothers will soon be playing golf.& Reply with quote

That would be great for Shabaka and the hard-working teachers there who take their jobs seriously.
The "hokey brothers" as you call them are capable of careful planning: they do a fine job in planning their hockey games, weekly-Bahrain trips, and their own travel abroad. As for academic planning and capably managing the teaching staff, forget it.
Jinn.n.juice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Shabaka Crybabies Reply with quote

Christ. I don't think I've ever been around a bigger group of crybabies. They change bus times. Wah! Finals dates change. Twice! Wah! Wah!

Is this your first job? Or even first time making schedules with groups of people? Things change, dates change, times change. For Christ sake! Are you such Prima Donnas that you can't deal with a few changes? You work for three hours a day... Go get a new hair cut, relax, watch tv, drink wine. Sheesh. Why even work in the summer if you can't be bothered?
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Shabaka Crybabies Reply with quote

Jinn.n.juice wrote:
Christ. I don't think I've ever been around a bigger group of crybabies. They change bus times. Wah! Finals dates change. Twice! Wah! Wah!

Let's hope you were brought in by EdEx on a business visa.
Jinn.n.juice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Shabaka Crybabies Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
Jinn.n.juice wrote:

Let's hope you were brought in by EdEx on a business visa.

Umm. I'm not sure what that means. But I'm here to stay baby!
AbeCross

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Shabaka Crybabies Reply with quote

Jinn.n.juice wrote:

Is this your first job? Or even first time making schedules with groups of people? Things change, dates change, times change. For Christ sake! Are you such Prima Donnas that you can't deal with a few changes? You work for three hours a day... Go get a new hair cut, relax, watch tv, drink wine. Sheesh. Why even work in the summer if you can't be bothered?

The real crybabies are the puerile hockey players who masquerade as academic managers. If things are so copacetic at that cowboy school, why are the vast majority of teachers replaced every single year?
By the way, drinking wine is illegal in Saudi Arabia. Are you saying that illegal activity is condoned at the zoo known as Shabaka?
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Shabaka Crybabies Reply with quote

Jinn.n.juice wrote:
You work for three hours a day... Go get a new hair cut, relax, watch tv, drink wine. Sheesh. Why even work in the summer if you can't be bothered?

I would say that's a brilliant set of suggestions for the serious educational problems that teachers who teach ESL face when teaching in developing nations. Yes indeed!
Jinn.n.juice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Change a PYD English test date three times. If Admin had sat down with their client (KFU) and discussed everything, it could have been resolved.

Instead, they put together a plan, announced it, then rescinded it when the Dean said no. They then put together another plan, which has since changed.

It's kind of like the emails that come out saying: Buses will leave at 8:30 on Thursday. . . . . Fast forward 20 minutes . . . Buses will leave at 8:00 on Thursday. Guess they shouldn't leave important communications to the discretion of the copy boy. "

------------
My suggestions for time management were directed toward someone complaining (again) about scheduling. Plumpy, get a grip. I do appreciate your feigned sense of obligation towards your students. Too bad you don't show that kind of dedication while in the classroom.

Abe, concerning the wine, thank you for providing your expert legal advice. I'm sure all expats in Saudi are astonished to learn this information. Well done, sir.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: