Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Cautionary Tale Continues...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
creztor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about approaching ICRT with this story? Since it is an English radio station, I thought that might be a good way to get the story out? Would make worrying about getting everything translated into and being questioned in Chinese no longer a problem. I am a broken record, I know, but I just wish there was someway for the public to know about this story so they could at least be made aware of what is going on.
Pow3hatan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creztor:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think it might be of more interest to ICRT if some of you who have been following this story contact them about it...it'll show there's an audience for this other than just me. Previously I've contacted the three English-language newspapers, plus several Chinese-language media, in Taiwan with very poor results so far.

I'll be contacting some more international media about this story, but it'll add more interest and urgency to getting this story out if those of you who have been interested readers of my posts and blogs also contacted some media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
creztor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just emailed them with links to here, your blog and facebook page. I also gave them a quick overview of things. I honestly doubt they will do anything, but worth a shot.
Pow3hatan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Creztor! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Pow3hatan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: A Presidential Reply? Reply with quote

Today I got an unsigned reply letter from the office of the President Ma Ying-jeou. Basically, the usual bureaucratic response avoiding any meaningful answers or help with the issues I wrote to President Ma about.

His office did show its sense of humor, however, by pointing out in the letter that "we are a nation based on democracy and rule of law..."

And I ask you President Ma: "Which rule of law in Taiwan is it that denies me my right to speak in court and present the evidence which proves my innocence?"

I'll post the letter on my blog later.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: A Presidential Reply? Reply with quote

Pow3hatan wrote:
Today I got an unsigned reply letter from the office of the President Ma Ying-jeou. Basically, the usual bureaucratic response avoiding any meaningful answers or help with the issues I wrote to President Ma about.

His office did show its sense of humor, however, by pointing out in the letter that "we are a nation based on democracy and rule of law..."

And I ask you President Ma: "Which rule of law in Taiwan is it that denies me my right to speak in court and present the evidence which proves my innocence?"

I'll post the letter on my blog later.

So what happens now?

You said that the Judge gave you 2 choices: accept settlement (what is the settlement if they do not want to apologize and give you money?) or be found guilty of the charges?

sorry if I've misunderstood. I'm just curious what your options are now or if it has finally come to a conclusion.

Anyways, good luck with it all.
creztor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing he will settle? That is seriously f`cked though.
Pow3hatan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So what happens now?

You said that the Judge gave you 2 choices: accept settlement (what is the settlement if they do not want to apologize and give you money?) or be found guilty of the charges?

sorry if I've misunderstood. I'm just curious what your options are now or if it has finally come to a conclusion.

Anyways, good luck with it all.

In short, the judge said the settlement would be a document from the nursing college saying that I did not commit sexual harassment and this whole episode happened because of a "cultural misunderstanding" between the accuser and I. No apology, no money, nothing else so far! The settlement can be presented to the administrative high court and/or the nursing college appeal committee as some kind of "proof" that I did not commit sexual harassment. If they agree, then the nursing college's sexual harassment decision will be reversed and my record cleared in the MOE. This is a BIG MAYBE!

If I don't accept this settlement and attempt to go on, the judge will not allow me to present my new evidence - he will announce his decision that I'm guilty of touching the student. So, yes, I'm still very much in a world of s**t!

The judge won't decide anything about sexual harassment (this is another unpleasant surprise to me). That will be up to the administrative high court and/or the nursing college appeal committee to decide.

The conclusion will be at the next hearing on Oct. 28.

You can read more about the court hearing and settlement on my blog at:
http://pow3hatan-warrior4justice.blogspot.com/ Today I also posted the letter from the Office of President Ma.
creztor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow3hatan, just accept it and try to move on. I can't say I know how you feel, but I do know that feeling of being screwed over when you know you were completely in the clear. Rule of law and Taiwan is an oxymoron, but I think anyone that has spent several years here knows that. It seems as though fighting won't change the outcome, that being you'll be cleared of charges but the college will be completely off the hook for any wrong doing.
romanworld

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A Presidential Reply? Reply with quote

Pow3hatan wrote:

Scary stuff indeed. This reply shows a complete indifference to your just cause. Scarier though is the fact that it is an automated response from an administration whose commitment to democracy is purely cosmetic. Issuing this reply was no different to issuing a parking ticket.
adogadie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the message here is that foreign EFL teachers have no recourse if their Taiwanese employers decide to fire them based on another teacher's accusation of sexual harassment. Something is terribly wrong here. I guess that there is no such thing as innocent to proven guilty. Glad to know that I need to be very careful with what I say and do around my Taiwanese co-workers. Perhaps have my phone video on all the time?
romanworld

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adogadie wrote:
So the message here is that foreign EFL teachers have no recourse if their Taiwanese employers decide to fire them based on another teacher's accusation of sexual harassment.

Yes, that's exactly the message. Don't ever be fooled into thinking Taiwan is a democracy with all the checks and balances that protect it from cronyism. Pow's mistake from the outset was to believe that the judicial process would deliver a just verdict. Of course it didn't. All we've seen are delaying tactics, the shifting of personnel, avoidance strategies, and the ridiculous conclusion to this circus: " . . . we(Taiwan) are a nation based on democray and the rule of law." Despicable!
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pow,

Thanks for your reply and I'm sorry to hear that the judge in the last hearing has put you in an ultimatum type situation. It doesn't sound good at all. But I have a couple of questions, since it sounds like there are two different issues at hand (or more):

Are you dealing with a criminal court in this matter?

Are you dealing with a civil court in this matter also?

What are the ramifications if you lose the civil / criminal court cases - would you spend time in jail? Or pay a heavy fine? Or, for example, be deported?

Apologies, but even after reading a few pages back, I still find the court aspect of it all a bit confusing to follow (although I seem to understand the accusation - of you touching a student "inappropriately").

Were you arrested, fingerprinted, etc., and charged with sexual harassment or assault by the police?
Pow3hatan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Creztor wrote:

Pow3hatan, just accept it and try to move on. I can't say I know how you feel, but I do know that feeling of being screwed over when you know you were completely in the clear. Rule of law and Taiwan is an oxymoron, but I think anyone that has spent several years here knows that. It seems as though fighting won't change the outcome, that being you'll be cleared of charges but the college will be completely off the hook for any wrong doing.

Yes Creztor, unfortunately, you're right on the mark with your observations and suggestions about my situation. After a couple of weeks to mull over what I've achieved thus far and what could lie ahead, I'm coming to terms with the ugly reality that if I continue in the courts of injustice here, I'll only spend more frustrating years being further victimized.

Quote:
adogadie wrote:

So the message here is that foreign EFL teachers have no recourse if their Taiwanese employers decide to fire them based on another teacher's accusation of sexual harassment.

Quote:
Romanworld wrote:

Yes, that's exactly the message. Don't ever be fooled into thinking Taiwan is a democracy with all the checks and balances that protect it from cronyism. Pow's mistake from the outset was to believe that the judicial process would deliver a just verdict. Of course it didn't. All we've seen are delaying tactics, the shifting of personnel, avoidance strategies, and the ridiculous conclusion to this circus: " . . . we(Taiwan) are a nation based on democray and the rule of law." Despicable!

adogadie's and Romanworld's observations and comments are also spot on.

I'm not totally giving up though. I'm transitioning into another approach to dealing with this situation and I'll make good use of what I've done so far. There's plenty for the world to know about the ugly and unjust underbelly of this place.
romanworld

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow3hatan wrote:
I'm not totally giving up though. I'm transitioning into another approach to dealing with this situation . . .

The only way to deal with these liars is to bring their lies out into the public arena and shame them. You need to find ways to get this story out there and let the media run with it, both in Taiwan and overseas. Trying to fight the good and honest fight in Taiwan is next to impossible when all those at the top are 'related' and have their own interests to protect. Taiwan is nothing more than a big Taiwanese family, with those at the top playing the role of strict parents. Those that don't belong to THE FAMILY are welcomed, as long as they are good filial children. If they are not, and misbehave, as you have done Pow, attempts are made immediately to banish them from Formosan shores.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 19 of 28

Jump to: