Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Progressing an EFL Career vs. Other Interests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big_H

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtm wrote:
Your point about a job that, e.g., pays more money helping one to go further in their outside interests is a good one. I'd also add that not all interests require such resources, and one doesn't necessarily need to go further in something to enjoy it. A part-time job that pays enough to live and allows more time for an outside interest might be more valuable than a high-paying, high-responsibility job that leaves one dead tired at the end of the day and a couple hours to enjoy one's outside interests.

This.
Some people are happy with what they do because they take language teaching as a profession, not just a job. There are more ways than one to be satisfied even if you have extravagant hobbies, or want to buy that expensive thing for your kid without every time having that annoying moment of doubt where you reassess your financial priorities. You could give private lessons on the side, start your own business project or school.

If you don't know, I'm awaring you on the benefits of freelance translation online from Japanese to English. You get paid per word; a friend of mine's been doing it for a while and he's making about 10k USD/m. That's more than enough for one to set their TEFL certs on fire and piss on'em if they don't like what they're doing.
Vince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A part-time job that pays enough to live and allows more time for an outside interest might be more valuable than a high-paying, high-responsibility job that leaves one dead tired at the end of the day and a couple hours to enjoy one's outside interests.

I got past eikaiwa and had a few TEFL jobs that paid much better and were much more enjoyable, but by no means left me dead tired. I still enjoyed my interests and had a balanced life.

The point is that being a long-term eikaiwa worker is the opposite extreme from the guy who works 12 hours every day. Instead of having a limited life because you're constantly working, you have a limited life because you're so ridiculously under-employed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: