Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disillusioned with ESL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear JRJohn,

"His reply was that EFL was "a vain profession, superficial profession, a profession where envy and office politics" had a large part to play."

Hmm, kind of like most other professions. Very Happy (having worked in a few others before EFL/ESL)

Regards,
John
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throughout my 12 years of TEFLing I have taken second and even third jobs, taught privates,contributed to pensions, chosen investments, had rental property, and had passive income. It's not easy and I lost money at times. I was also resentful for having to work so much. I did it because I had to. Now I do it because I've chosen two other jobs that aren't TEFLing so I avoid burn out.

But I think having a Plan B or C is good. Not just for TEFL teachers but everyone. Even a little extra money can help out. Just put it to good use.

It's good to know your options and try different things out. Now I have three income streams. TEFL is still my main one but I'm hoping that will change. If my plans work out I should be able to make at least half my TEFL income by working only 12-15 hours a month. If it doesn't work out at least I've tried.

For me this accomplishes a number of goals.
1. I have more time. If I can have my second and third incomes equal my TEFL income and work fewer hours all the better. TEFL can become my side job

2. I have more security. If TEFL goes belly up I still have something to fall back on.

3. It allows me to seek out different things that I'm passionate about. Teaching is great but I like being able to do other things as well. And if I can make money from it all the better. It helps me from getting job burnt out. I've been able to make my hobbies into income streams.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC Parrot wrote:
We're talking about approaching a financial goal: a goal which will allow you to hang up your TEFL boots forever.

Getting better means getting out.

Agreed. I'm leaving TEFL at the end of this year after nine years, some of which in the Gulf. Going to do an MSc in something completely unrelated. Can't wait.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you!

1 to 2 years more of Gulfus horribilis for us and we will be able to swap the lower classes of the Middle East for the middle classes of Western Europe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: