Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is English Fever Finally Abating?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thatsforsure

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Javelin of Radiance wrote:
Native language interference errors (often grammatical or lexical) happen all the time with second language learners, a fact that's been established through research. Language learners do "think" in one language while trying to speak another one.
The problem is, your first sentence does not lead to your second one in nearly so direct a manner as you present it. The fact that the ancient patterns carved into my brain by my first language still manifest a bit when I speak my second language do not mean I am still "thinking" in my first language, any more than they mean I'm speaking in my first language.
kona

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPMcMurphy wrote:
440 NEST [EPIK scheme] positions are to disappear from Seoul's middle and high schools by February [korea times]. The annual cost of maintaining a NEST is 46 million won, more than double the cost of a NNEST. Would you get your Mercedes serviced by a German if a Korean did it for half price, and possible did a better job? It's just an inevitable reality....good times don't last forever.

They are getting rid of NEST's in Seoul because the test that high school students have to take in South Korea is based solely on the rote memorization of grammar. Additionally, the only skill areas they are tested on are reading and listening. NEST's (even those who have advanced qualifications in TESOL and education) are usually not trained to teach like that, and for good reason. Furthermore, you vastly underestimate the wages of Korean English teachers in Korea, and the high end of total cost for a Native English teacher here in Korea (someone that costs 46 mil) is someone who needs housing in a place like Gangnam or some other incredibly expensive area.

As far as teaching goes, I'd imagine it's a similar scenario in China. Teaching English with the native language of the student is not an effective way to teach a language, especially after the beginner stages of language acquisition. It seems that the models employed seemed to be too often based on some strange combination of grammar translation (NNESTs) and audiolingualism (NESTs). Not really an effective way to learn a foreign language.

They should take a cue from Finland: they have incredibly high IELTS scores for a country who's native language is as linguistically distant (an Uralic language) from English as Chinese or Korean is.

You are right that an NEST is not necessarily better than a NNEST, but your other conclusions are pretty far fetched.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a word, in the People's Republic of China, I don't think that English fever is "finally" abating at all.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
creeper1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: above Reply with quote

+1 to the above comment. There is huge demand in China for native speakers. Not easy to deal with the bureaucracy of getting visas or with changing money or leaving the country with money.

In fact there are a lot of things that are not easy to deal with. However problems getting an employer is not one of them. Cool
kona

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:
In a word, in the People's Republic of China, I don't think that English fever is "finally" abating at all.

Warm regards,
fat_chris

I'll give that a +1 too Very Happy
GeminiTiger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fat_chris wrote:

+1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay!

+1+1+1

Cheers.

Cool

Warm regards,
fat_chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: