Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preparation for DELTA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bawny34

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Preparation for DELTA Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a long-term plan of doing the DELTA. I would imagine though that it will be a year or so before I tackle it.

What kind of preparation/pre-course reading should I be doing before then? Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks!
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: DELTA reading list Reply with quote

You'll find the reading list here:

http://thedistancedelta.com/howitworks/books.aspx

I have copies of many of the titles listed, and am looking to sell them. Contact me if you're interested.
bawny34

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Graham B. That is very helpful. I will get back to you regarding the books once I get a chance to do some research etc.

Are there any particular books that you would consider a 'must-read' before doing the course, say for Module 1, as I do intend to do the modules in order.

Many thanks Laughing
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Books Reply with quote

The titles on the list are the core texts. You should read all of them! Wink
bawny34

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Will have plenty to get on with Very Happy

Can anyone enlighten me on the subject of terminology lists? Is there any set list of items that I need to study? Or is it basically an accumulation of all the material/terms you encounter in your reading?

I see online, for example, some people have uploaded terminology cards onto Quizlet. This is certainly very helpful. But, how do you know that you have covered all the required terminology.

Thanks again!
GKD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great series of titles and authors ..thanks! (did Scott Thornbury create this reading list by any chance? .. haha)

For somebody in my position, with an eye on professional development but no precise plans for DELTA or MAs at the moment, which of the titles would you most recommend? I guess, to improve classes and make sure students are challenged and really progress their English.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a DELTA required to teach in European universities or university language centers?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most European universities look for related MA, and previous experience working with European students.

European university jobs bear very little resemblance to those in Asia. The market is highly competitive, candidates have upper-level qualifications, and students are extremely different, with most speaking B2+ English already. These aren't jobs for the un or underqualified.

This from my 16+ years working in three different European universities, and our active partnerships with 25 others. I've served on a number of hiring committees over the years.

DELTA is more for private language school DOS or management positions.
A DELTA + experience in Asia won't go far on this job market; you'd need to pay some dues at the newbie level and demonstrate that you can get beyond the difference between Asian and European students. There's a thread below with more info on this if you're interested.
twowheel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^bumped.

Good thread. Like the OP, I may be a year away from applying for a Delta course.

grahamb, many thanks for that reading list link. I intend to get cracking on that. If I take a full-time intensive course in the Fall of 2016, I have a year to hit it.

bawny34, just re-visiting your original post: will you do the Delta soon?

twowheel
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

European university jobs bear very little resemblance to those in Asia. The market is highly competitive, candidates have upper-level qualifications, and students are extremely different, with most speaking B2+ English already. These aren't jobs for the un or underqualified.

This from my 16+ years working in three different European universities, and our active partnerships with 25 others. I've served on a number of hiring committees over the years.

Some good points but I would say that Europe is a big place and I am not sure how true the "B2+" remark is! I have taught a lot of European students and northern European students from Germany, Sweden, and Norway may fit into your analysis but students from France and Spain most likely wouldn't. I also did some teaching this year at Tallinn University and many students were at the B1 level and a number were A2.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, fair enough. In my experience, southerners are likely to have weaker English than northern Europeans; it's a useful point.

I am thinking, though, of the Erasmus program which so many European students take part in, which requires at least B2 of the target language (which is not necessarily English, of course), as a standard for second language learning at the university level.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Most European universities look for related MA, and previous experience working with European students.

Private universities in France will take you with an undergraduate degree (doesn't have to be in ESL).
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private universities, yes, may be able to do this. Can you be more specific as to which ones and where?

I guess that this doesn't equate to numerous jobs, as the competition will still be fairly stiff with teachers who have higher qualifications, but I don't really know - private universities are off my radar.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Private universities, yes, may be able to do this. Can you be more specific as to which ones and where?

I guess that this doesn't equate to numerous jobs, as the competition will still be fairly stiff with teachers who have higher qualifications, but I don't really know - private universities are off my radar.

Everywhere in the North and I can't see why it would be any different elsewhere in France.

I'm not sure about competition being particularly stiff in the North. I know a few non-native speakers teaching English at university level and that is not usually indicative of an employer's market.

Public universities have their 'lecteur' system for which you don't need any qualifications except a degree (in any discipline). It's a max of two years, though.

As far as I know, a CELTA is not necessary in France and most higher education employers aren't aware that the DELTA exists
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

I'm not going to name the exact schools (and I mean 'school' in the university sense) I work at but a DELTA is not required anywhere in the North (I've never met anyone who has it) and I can't see why it would be any different elsewhere in France.

I'm not sure about competition being particularly stiff in the North. I know a few non-native speakers teaching English at university level and that is not usually indicative of an employer's market.

Public universities have their 'lecteur' system for which you don't need any qualifications except a degree (in any discipline). It's a max of two years, though.

As far as I know, a CELTA is not necessary in France and most higher education employers aren't aware that the DELTA exists
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: