Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone tell me about ELES Centers, Muscat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saltyham

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Can anyone tell me about ELES Centers, Muscat Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has any information on how ELES Center is in Oman. I see a lot of information about ELS from a search, but it's quite old. Does anyone know how things are going now and what to expect?

I've done enough years in ESL to know that some of teaching abroad is about perspective, and you must take the good with the bad and accept that things can be unorganized or last minute, so I am quite flexible. What I do want to know about is payment. Are employees getting paid? Are they being treated well? Are their contracts being honored?

Thanks!
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you give us a city?
CANDLES

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which company are you referring to? ELS in Muscat who have colleges in Muscat, Baraka and used to be in Buraimi (now defunct), or someone else? Question
omanoman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ELES is a language center based in Muscat with branches in Mawaleh (muscat) Sohar and Salalah I believe. I know some people who have worked for them part-time and no issues, adult students, general English curriculum.

I also know that they had the contracts for opening universities in Sharqiyah and Buraimi and had many issues there, but from my sources, the issues were almost all from the university side regarding payments, the program changes etc.

From my own experience with Ministry and university administrators, VIP's and so on, I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they managed to operate the foundation programs at all despite dealing with the avarice and incompetence that is often in play with these higher ed types.

omanoman
madrileno

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've the necessary credentials demanded by the Ministry (minimum related BA; MA in TEFL or Education preferred) don't even consider ELS/ELES.

There are ministry jobs constantly being advertised by the recruiting agencies, especially in the interior. Pay is always on time (not the case with ELS/ELES), and contracts are more or less respected by employers, (and not considered a mere suggestion like by the shifty company being discussed).

Stay far away, even if you're desperate. Look to Asia instead if you don't meet the necessary requirements. If that's the case, get a related MA and make the move to the Gulf, later.
omanoman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to disagree with that categorization. I have spent my time back in the day with language centers here and there and would compare what I have seen and heard with ELES quite favorably. I don't think they are unscrupulous.

Anyway, these forums are open to anyone with a grudge, legitimate or not and as my brief history here shows, I like to defend the employer side quite often. In fact, as you mentioned Ministry jobs, well, you might refer back to Muscat Gary's assertion that they didn't pay him and many others for 5 months!

omanoman
balqis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply unbearable.
balqis
CANDLES

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well -omanoman-, I don't think you had the pleasure of working for a dodgy director with a 'degree and Dr' status in Religion, running an ELS Language School! Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes otherwise you wouldn't be siding.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... that is different from some of these dodgy recruiter employers how? And, some of them are "running" supposed "university" foundations programs.

VS
omanoman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are referring to the very dodgy director of the program which was in Buraimi. And I agree with you entirely but that was a stand alone contract, long over now and has nothing to do with ELES now. Even then, it was just a contracted out foundation program run separately from the language school and, yeah, that guy was a real jerk apparently.
madrileno

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

balqis wrote:
Simply unbearable.

Shocked My thoughts exactly.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing is happening this year but isn't affecting as many people as the Ministry seems to have handed over virtually all recruitment to Hawthorn.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An aside - what is happening with CfBT now?
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleepwalker wrote:
An aside - what is happening with CfBT now?

They're not advertising any jobs at all in Oman right now.
pret a porter

Location: Somewhere on the globe, in front of a computer screen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: Can anyone tell me about ELES Centers, Muscat Reply with quote

saltyham wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone has any information on how ELES Center is in Oman. I see a lot of information about ELS from a search, but it's quite old. Does anyone know how things are going now and what to expect?

I've sill a contact there who's leaving ELES/ITES the end of this year. If you value your sanity and overall well-being, stay far, far away from that company.

They make Korean hagwons look like paradise.

Oh, and they still chronically pay late just as they were during the times of the older threads on here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: