Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work permit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
christmas

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Work permit Reply with quote

I just got my residency approved to start my job in august.
Can someone tell me what the procedure is for the work permit?
I'm thinking of going to the Omani consulate and getting my degree rubber stamped to avoid hassle when in Muscat.
omanoman

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always a good idea to have stamps on everything before coming but if the sponsor hasn't asked for them yet, then what is the nature of your approved "residency" ?

It is not that common to actually have a visa approval so early in advance, I would even use the phrase "unheard of" . Can you explain more what has been communicated to you?

The residency card process is Docs + pictures submitted and approval - medical check done - visit to the police immigration office for the card making. Each step can take it's own time and the quickest turnaround would be a week to 10 days I would think.
madrileno

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with omanoman. I've never heard of someone getting their residency approved before entering the country.

Almost everyone comes in on a tourist visa which is later changed to a residency visa after all the documents are approved and stamped by the appropriate ministries here in Oman.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madrileno wrote:
I agree with omanoman. I've never heard of someone getting their residency approved before entering the country.

Almost everyone comes in on a tourist visa which is later changed to a residency visa after all the documents are approved and stamped by the appropriate ministries here in Oman.

Not since 2013, the work visa is now processed before you arrive and a copy is sent to you to show at the airport. The PRO then takes you to the visa desk where they put the visa stamp into your passport. The residents card is processed later after documents have been checked and the medical is approved. If you have an employer with waste this can happen in one day.
omanoman

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always been possible to be given the visa before you arrive but I think quite rare in practice. The reason? some medical clearances for one but mainly, the risk of the new hire changing their mind before they come, as is often the case when employees shop around. If the visa is given and then never actualized ( is that even a word?) then the sponsor has a difficult time replacing the visa , similar to an absconding employee. At least 3 months I think for waiting to clear the visa left hanging.

Of course, wasta changes everything but for those without it, there is a risk not worth taking.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Last edited by Whatever will be on Wed May 06, 2015 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omanoman wrote:
It's always been possible to be given the visa before you arrive but I think quite rare in practice.

Now it's compulsory, if you did come in on a tourist visa you would have to leave the country and come back in again on the work visa but all the big recruiters are issuing the visa by email in advance of the teacher arriving.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that there might be a confusion of terminology. While for a few years (late 90's/early 00s), one could use a tourist visa and the employer could easily convert it, since the 80's most came in on a short term "work" visa... which involved visiting the window in the airport, and then the employer arranged the medical tests, finger prints, and the passport was taken in to get the labor card and work/residency visa stamped in the passport which was good for a certain number of years - my first one was for 4 years as I recall.

My second job I came in on a tourist visa as it was already in my passport and it saved my employer the time and effort to get the normal entry visa for employment. They appreciated saving the money. But as has been mentioned, they stopped allowing that system - probably because it cut government income.

VS
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever will be wrote:

The "unfit for work" risk is mitigated by a medical examination from the teacher's home country, which has to be supplied prior to the recruiter issuing the flight ticket. The medical is then repeated in Oman.

Once the employee is in the country, the recruiters give only some of what they've promised. To make sure the cheated teacher doesn't run off, the recruiter keeps the passport "to organize the resident card", which takes like...forever.

Since the teachers doesn't have a bank account, the salary can't be transferred or will be transferred later - whatever the excuse - leaving the teacher without income for a couple of months. By then, savings are used up.

The recruiter got all the bases covered, the teacher is trapped. Crying or Very sad

Just goes to show how much people's experiences may vary.

I did have to do a medical before the air tickets and copy of the work visa were issued. Clearly, they don't want people to arrive here, on their dime, and then later find out that they are ineligible to work in Oman due to health reasons. That's fair enough and if I was a recruiter, I'd do the same thing.

As none of us could open a bank account until we got a residency card, an agency representative came to our house, on the day that our salaries were due, and paid out our first month's allowances and salary in cash. If anyone was broke then they could call the agency and get an advance on their salary. They'd receive the advance within three days. When it was time to organize the residency cards, it took a morning. A representative of the agency picked us up from our homes, took us to the government buildings that we needed to go to, helped us fill out the forms and by noon we had the residency cards in our hands. For those of us who had classes that morning, the College found other teachers to cover them. No dramas at all Cool.
omanoman

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, everyone has different experiences and also perceptions about those experiences. In Whatever's post, all of those complaints or suspicions can be explained by the bureaucracy here and time for processing, rather than as a Machiavellian plot to undermine teacher's rights.

But hey, it's not paranoia if it's true, right ?
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Last edited by Whatever will be on Wed May 06, 2015 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately from the majority of posts here, whatever's experience seems to be mostly his/her own and not shared by the majority of the teachers.

VS
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Last edited by Whatever will be on Wed May 06, 2015 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last year there have been 150 threads posted on the Oman board... and the majority of the posts on these threads were NOT done by the regulars.

And still your experience seems to be mainly yours... at your employer which you won't identify. Instead of helping, you are merely blackening every employer's reputation based on your own, seemingly rather unique, experience.

Things have certainly gone downhill in Oman since they went to the recruiter system. None of the regulars have sold it as a "wonderful TEFL experience", but as an entry job to future jobs in the Gulf market where there is money to be made... it has just never been in Oman.

VS
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see the harm in outing a recruiter-if they are engaged in such vile tactics as keeping passports-which is, of course, totally illegal. Hardly puts ones anonymity at risk.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: