Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have a CELTA, she doesn't, possibilities in Russia?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff19

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: I have a CELTA, she doesn't, possibilities in Russia? Reply with quote

Hello, I am newly qualified teacher and I would appreciate some help with a tricky situation Smile

I am Italian, I have lived and studied in the UK for three years, I hold a Bachelor and a CELTA(grade B, the course was at the British Council of Krakow if that matters). I am interested in working and living in Russia, but I would like to do that with my girlfriend.
She is from Bosnia, no CELTA, but she has a Master in English Language which included theory and practice in teaching. She also has six months experience working in Spain.

Now, if I understood correctly my qualifications are good enough, at least for the McSchools, but what about her? Does she have chances to find a job and how? Searching online it seems that the CELTA is a minimum requirement everywhere...

In alternative to Russia, are you aware of other countries where it would be easier for the both of us to find a job?

Thanks for helping!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about how any of this would impact on visa applications, but in terms of what schools require you still have a good chance. The Celta is a minimum qualification. If her Masters is in English language teaching which observed teaching practice, then it should be considered a much higher qualification.

Adverts that say 'Celta required' really mean 'no backpackers need apply'. All sorts of variations in quals are routinely accepted by schools here, if candidates look like they are any good.

I say apply away, and see what turns up. The non-native issue might be more of a sticking point than the quals, though, I'm afraid...

Best of luck to you both!
Jeff19

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Not sure about how any of this would impact on visa applications, but in terms of what schools require you still have a good chance. The Celta is a minimum qualification. If her Masters is in English language teaching which observed teaching practice, then it should be considered a much higher qualification.

Adverts that say 'Celta required' really mean 'no backpackers need apply'. All sorts of variations in quals are routinely accepted by schools here, if candidates look like they are any good.

I say apply away, and see what turns up. The non-native issue might be more of a sticking point than the quals, though, I'm afraid...

Best of luck to you both!

Thanks for your reply! About the visa, I forgot to mention that she also has a EU passport(Croatian).

Her Master is in English Language and Literature, but the teaching component of the course did include observed practice. But doesn't the 6 months experience matter more?

The non-native issue surprises me, I didn't think it was an issue at all. So Russia is not very open to non-natives in general? I assumed the opposite.

I am glad to hear about the true meaning of CELTA requirements(but is it true for IH as well?), suggestions about schools in particular?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, nearly all schools demonstrate some degree of flexibility. Especially IH-BKC. Plenty of staff there have a Celta equivalent. Some might even have some mickey mouse cert, yet managed to blag their way in to a job.

However, a distinction is made between teaching literature and teaching English as a foreign language. The former is lecturing, the second is student-centred methodology, as on the Celta. Not the same thing. So, make sure that prospective school know that she actually ran efl classes, and not literature lectures. She wouldn't last long on the job if she cannot help learners to speak.

EU passports don't matter as such. The issue is the type of visa you'd need to get. As non-natives, it'll be hard for schools to employ you as English teachers, on a teacher visa. But that just means you'll need to get the general work visa. School's problem. Not yours.

Russian students can be picky enough about their teachers. But rest assured, plenty of other Italians and Croatians have worked in Moscow as teachers. Many in BKC. You might even be asked to teach Italian.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, if her masters is in English linguistics or literature - but with no TESOL element - she'll be considered unqualified. Six months' experience wouldn't matter. Nor six years. All done while untrained. The problem is that that type of masters doesn't prepare teachers for the needs of language learners.

It isn't enough to stand at the top of the class and lecture about English syntax and pragmatics, as though one is in a university lecture hall. And that is precisely what prospective employers would think might happen - unless you can show them it isn't so - all based on previous experience with over-academic types.
Shelby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school is not in Moscow. Things may be different there, but we would not go through all the hassle of obtaining a visa for a non-native speaker when there are plenty of Russians who have the advantage of being able to provide explanations in Russian if absolutely necessary.
Stirlitz17

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I live in Krasnodar and some non-native foreigners have got jobs here in the past, especially at my first school, so it's definitely doable in some places. The bad thing is that my the aforementioned school tried to pass them of as native speakers to customers, which was really dishonest, in my opinion.

To be honest, I think the whole economic situation could end up being an advantage for you in some ways. As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), less people are applying from abroad this year because of the crisis, so it could mean some schools make take you where as a year to two ago they might not have.
Deats

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find a job. Who knows.

But there are probably Russians who have better qualifications and would work for less money, so why would a company employ you? What do you bring to the table?

People pay big bucks to learn with a foreigner - a native speaker. This is why schools hire native speakers.

As for other countries - try China. Your white faces will count for a lot. A white face counts as a native speaker to most Chinese.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People from non-anglophone countries who speak English to a very high degree are excellent representatives of how English is truly used as a lingua franca. There is value in this. Makes the Russian learners' effort seem more worthwhile when they see that the outside world can and does put a huge effort into learning English too.
Deats

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but couldn't they just get this from a Russian who speaks English well?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't have the lingua franca element then.
Deats

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most schools will not want the hassle of the non-native visa headaches, not to mention the costs.

And I very much doubt a student paying top dollar will be happy to have a non-native, however good they are.

Neither of the applicants have anything exceptional, so why would a company in Russia hire them? Desperation? Their resumes are going to look no better than a native speakers (probably worse), so why take a non-native?

Just saying.

Maybe they will find jobs, but the odds are stacked against them IMO.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will find jobs, and schools do hire non-natives. Nothing new there, despite your doubts. Most natives that apply and get hired are nothing exceptional either.

The much vaunted 'native' knowledge of the language is a different thing from having the insights that comes from having learnt the language from the outside, with the pedagogic skills to impart this knowledge. True, Russian teachers can do this very well, but non-Russian teachers can too, and have the added factor that students need to use English with them in the classroom in exactly the same way the do for real life situations, be they in business or on holiday.

There are some students who will not see the value of this. But there are many who do. I have worked in many schools that have hired a mix of teachers from different backgrounds. In general, it worked quite well.
Jeff19

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
They will find jobs, and schools do hire non-natives. Nothing new there, despite your doubts. Most natives that apply and get hired are nothing exceptional either.

The much vaunted 'native' knowledge of the language is a different thing from having the insights that comes from having learnt the language from the outside, with the pedagogic skills to impart this knowledge. True, Russian teachers can do this very well, but non-Russian teachers can too, and have the added factor that students need to use English with them in the classroom in exactly the same way the do for real life situations, be they in business or on holiday.

There are some students who will not see the value of this. But there are many who do. I have worked in many schools that have hired a mix of teachers from different backgrounds. In general, it worked quite well.

I am glad to read this, could you tell me which schools are you referring to?

I am considering this http://www.nativespeakers.ru/are_you/ always present in the expat.ru vacancies section, but I can't manage to find many opinions about it, does anyone have something to share?

Also, since I speak some Russian, I was thinking to start using more resources tied to the language, like VKontakte. Any advices about this?
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, this outfit isn't a school, but just a slicked-up agency. I doubt that there'd be visa support. And, as can be seen from its name, it places a high value on 'nativeness'. You could teach Italian with them, but not English.

Use any resources you like, but ultimately I'd guess you are going to find most interest comes from the larger chain schools. Might be better off going in with them to get set up, and then branch out afterwards. Really depends on how long you are planning to stay in Russia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: